Welcome to The Mystillery's reading challenges!The Mystillery is hosting these quirky mystery reading challenges for 2021 and 2022! Please join in! Use the buttons at the top of this page, or click the OPEN signs in the chart below. The CLOSED signs linked to the earlier archived challenges.
Challenge Description 2019 2020 2021 2022 Medical Examiner You are the Medical Examiner, and your goal is to document the cause of death on as many unfortunate victims as you can by reading murder mysteries. Annual challenge.
Closes Dec 24 2021
Opens Jan 1 2022 Six Shooter Shoot (read) six mysteries by the same target (author). Annual challenge, but unfinished targets roll over to the following year so you do not lose any partial progress.
Closes Dec 24 2021
Opens Jan 1 2022 Murder Mystery Bingo This challenge has been replaced by the Beachcomber challenge, and is no longer offered. Beachcomber Scavenger hunt. Fill four beach bags (Detectives, Victims, Crime Scenes, and Weapons) by finding all the items on each list. Honor system: Author/Titles need not be submitted. Annual challenge.
Closes Dec 24 2021
Opens Jan 1 2022 Century Club Expand your horizons. Read one mystery from each of the ten previous decades, comprising 1920-2020. Ongoing challenge. Continues in 2022 Abra Cadavers This is a baseball game for participants in any of the challenges. Seasonal, runs April-September, concurrent with MLB baseball season. Opens April 1 2022 Ten Pins This is a bowling game for participants in any of the challenges. Seasonal, runs October-March. Continues in 2022
- The Mystillery Blog The big blog of various mystery titles.
- Reading The Mystery League! Blog devoted to the enjoyment of the 30 creepy mystery novels published by The Mystery League, Inc. between 1930-1933.
- Rick's Reading Challenges Tracking page for my progress on others' Reading Challenges.
- All reviews by author
- The Missing Challenge Reader Case was compiled from the first lines of the books submitted to the 2019 Six Shooter and 2019 Medical Examiner reading challenges:
- Newsletter #1 - Sep 2020
- Newsletter #2 - Oct 2020
- Newsletter #3 - Nov 2020
- Newsletter #4 - Dec 2020
- Newsletter #5 - Jan 2021
- Newsletter #6 - Feb 2021
- Newsletter #7 - Mar 2021
- Newsletter #8 - Apr 2021
- Newsletter #9 - May 2021
- Newsletter #10 - June 2021
- Newsletter #11 - July 2021
- Newsletter #12 - Aug 2021
- Newsletter #13 - Sep 2021
- Newsletter #14 - Oct 2021
- The Mystery League checklist
- Collier Front Page Mysteries checklist
- Collier Crime Club Mysteries checklist
lab:Light a candle, come down the dark, cold basement stairs; open the heavy steel door with the well-oiled hinges. You're in the Mystillery Lab!
- Lab Report 1: Sorting Blogger labels
- Lab Report 2: Slimming down the URLs
- Lab Report 3: Copy Medical Examiner data to your own spreadsheet
- Lab Report 4: Build your own automated reading challenge
- Lab Report 5: Sort Goodreads books by publication date
- Author/detective cross reference
- Bookseriesinorder.com provides book series listings in order by author, and then in order of the character or series.
- Cozy Mystery List: A Guide to Cozy Mystery Books, Movies, and TV
- Crime Writers in Alphabetical Order The largest list of bibliographies I have ever seen.
- Fantastic Fiction Search and browse bibliographies of over 50,000 bestselling fiction authors, with the latest books and series information
- Golden Age of Detection Wiki A comprehensive collection of material relating to the Golden Age of Detection - ~ 1920 to 1960 - covering authors, books, magazines, ephemera and other details.
- Looking for a Mystery? This is a treasure trove index of indexes intended for school librarians, but they won't mind if we use it.
- Stop, You're Killing Me! is a resource for lovers of mystery, crime, thriller, spy, and suspense books. It lisrs over 5,400 authors, with chronological lists of their books (over 63,000 titles), both series (6,500+) and non-series.