|The Mystillery||Medical Examiner's Challenge||Six Shooter Challenge||Bingo Challenge||Abra Cadavers||Century Club|
- Welcome to the Six Shooter Mystery Reading Challenge! Please consider joining us! In this challenge, you only compete against yourself, so we welcome new gunslingers to our shooting gallery any time!
- Congrats to gunslinger SueC ! She just placed her fourth notch on her gun for finishing six books by C. J. Box. Her efficient shooting has pushed her to the top of the TCP chart with .857.
- You are encouraged to open up new targets even if you do not expect to complete six books in 2020. Partially-completed targets will roll over to the 2021 challenge. TCP is not affected by the number of active targets you have up (we have an infinite number of lanes), so load up the shooting gallery!
READER BOARD as of: WED JULY 15 2020 Gunslingers: 18
sorted by TCP, then shots fired. highest stats highlighted in green.
Gunslinger TCP* Shots
More info SueC
.827 29 3 4 sk888888
.818 44 2 6 Bev Hankins
.727 33 2 4 Rick Mills
.499 36 5 3 Avid Series Reader
.109 55 18 1 Traci L.
.000 36 18 0 Ahcop
.000 25 11 0 Tari Hann
.000 23 7 0 JJA
.000 9 2 0 Jjean
.000 6 2 0 Stephanie W
.000 4 1 0 Fanda
.000 3 1 0 Lynn
.000 3 1 0 Deanie
.000 2 2 0 Jane Reads
.000 1 6 0 Donnisha
.000 1 1 0 Nessa
.000 0 2 0 Boocks Books
.000 0 1 0 Lane open
This could be you.
.000 0 0 0 Lane open
This lane is closest to the snack bar.
.000 0 0 0
challenger has moved up a row
highest stats per column
* TCP = Target Completion Percentage. This is similar to a batting average in baseball. It is the ratio of notches achieved (e.g., completed targets) to the number of shots taken. The formula is (completed targets/shots taken)*6. Completed targets will improve your TCP. However, shots that do not complete a target will lower your TCP. It's maddening, but that's the incentive to complete your targets, and it leads to a lot of exciting movement up and down the Reader Board. It also leads to the curious effect that you can rise in the Reader Board standings by simply doing nothing while other gunslingers read books that do not complete targets! Also note that the TCP is not affected by the number of active targets you have up (we have an infinite number of lanes), so load up the shooting gallery! Marge N. O'Vera, Shooting Gallery Statistician
Shooting gallery:alphabetical by gunslinger
Gunslinger Target * 1
(links to review)
2 3 4 5 6 Ahcop Miles Burton (Cecil Street) Mr. Westerby Missing Tragedy at the Thirteenth Hole John Dickson Carr The Nine Wrong Answers Papa La-Bas Freeman Wills Crofts The Cask Joan Fleming The Chill and the Kill Miss Bones Death of a Sardine Lucille Fletcher Mirror Image ...And Presumed Dead The Strange Blue Yawl Anthony Gilbert Out For the Kill A Question of Murder Prelude to Murder P. M. Hubbard The Dancing Man A Rooted Sorrow A Thirsty Evil E. C. R. Lorac (Edith Rivett) Speak Justly of the Dead Relative to Poison Black Beadle The Last Escape Shroud of Darkness E. Phillips Oppenheim The Great Impersonation Jean Potts Go, Lovely Rose Hillary Waugh Sleep Long, My Love Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Avid Series Reader M. C. Beaton
(Marion Chesney Gibbons)
Death of a Traveling Man Death of a Prankster Death of a Greedy Woman Rhys Bowen
Naughty in Nice In Like Flynn Fiona Buckley
The Doublet Affair Queen's Ransom To Ruin a Queen Barbara Cleverly The Damascened Blade The Palace Tiger The Bee's Kiss Philip R. Craig First Light Vineyard Enigma A Vineyard Killing Deborah Crombie All Shall Be Well Dreaming of the Bones Mourn Not Your Dead Leave the Grave Green Kissed a Sad Goodbye Joan Druett Shark Island Run Afoul Deadly Shoals Martin Edwards I Remember You The Dungeon House Monica Ferris Thai Die Knitting Bones Charles Finch The Woman in the Water A Death in the Small Hours An Old Betrayal The Laws of Murder Kerry Greenwood The Green Mill Murder Blood and Circuses Forbidden Fruit Cooking the Books Kate Kingsbury For Whom Death Tolls Dig Deep for Murder Dead and Breakfast Adrian McKinty The Cold Cold Ground Marcia Muller The McCone Files The Dangerous Hour The Vanishing Point The Ever-Running Man Carol O'Connell Find Me Judas Child Sandra Parshall Broken Places Disturbing the Dead David Rosenfelt Open and Shut Sudden Death Bury the Lead First Degree Dead Center Play Dead Ann B. Ross Miss Julia Throws a Wedding #3 Miss Julia Hits the Road #4 Miss Julia Meets Her Match #5 Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Bev Hankins Agatha Christie 4:50 from Paddington And Then There Were None The Unexpected Guest The Murder of Roger Ackroyd The Big Four The Mystery of the Blue Train Agatha Christie The Clocks The Seven Dials Mystery Partners in Crime The Mysterious Mr. Quin Douglas Clark Nobody's Perfect Death After Evensong Deadly Pattern Golden Rain The Longest Pleasure The Gimmel Flask Lee Harris (Syrell Leahy) The Christening Day Murder The Valentine's Day Murder The Passover Murder The New Year's Eve Murder The April Fool's Day Murder The Bar Mitzvah Murder Frances & Richard Lockridge Killing the Goose Spin Your Web, Lady! Stand Up and Die Curtain for a Jester Murder in a Hurry Dorothy L. Sayers Gaudy Night Unnatural Death Thrones, Dominations The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club Have His Carcase The Nine Tailors Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Boocks Books Tonya Kappes Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Deanie Agatha Christie And Then There Were None J. D. Robb (Nora Roberts) Divided in Death Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Donnisha Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling) The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Fanda Agatha Christie The Sittaford Mystery Peril at End House Lord Edgeware Dies a.p.a. 13 at Dinner Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Jane Reads Ellie Alexander
Rita Mae Brown V. M. Burns J. C. Eaton Botched 4 Murder Karen MacInerney Diane Vallere Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 JJA Franklin W. Dixon Rocky Road (Undercover Brothers #5) Top Ten Ways to Die (Undercover Brothers #8) Operation Survival [ Undercover Brothers # 7] Running on Fumes [Undercover Brothers #2] Martial Law [Undercover Brothers # 9] Luther Tsai and Nury Vittachi The Visionary Voyage (Magic Mirror Mystery #1) The Traveller's Tale (Magic Mirror Mystery #2) The Tomb of Time (Magic Mirror Mystery #3) The Shining Scripture (Magic Mirror Mystery #5) Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Jjean Stephen King Bag of Bones The Institute James Patterson Alex Cross's Trial The River Murders 20th Victim Texas Outlaw Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Lynn R.D. Wingfield A Touch of Frost Night Frost Frost at Christmas Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Nessa Jessa Archer Agatha Christie Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Rick Mills Leslie Charteris The Saint Goes On Saint Overboard The Brighter Buccaneer The Saint and the Templar Treasure The Saint in Miami Manning Coles (Adelaide Manning & Cyril Coles) Drink to Yesterday Toast to Tomorrow They Tell No Tales Arthur Conan Doyle A Study in Scarlet The Sign of the Four The Hound of the Baskervilles The Valley of Fear The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes J. Jefferson Farjeon Mystery in White Seven Dead The Z Murders Erle Stanley Gardner The D.A. Calls it Murder Selby #1 The D.A. Holds a Candle Selby #2 The D.A. Draws a Circle Selby #3 The D.A. Goes to Trial Selby #4 The D.A. Cooks a Goose Selby #5 The D.A. Calls A Turn Selby #6 Erle Stanley Gardner The D.A. Breaks a Seal Selby #7 The D.A. Takes a Chance Selby #8 The D.A. Breaks an Egg Selby #9 Dorothy L. Sayers Whose Body? Clouds of Witness Murder Must Advertise Gaudy Night Strong Poison Have His Carcase Edgar Wallace The Four Just Men The Secret House The Man Who Knew The Girl from Scotland Yard Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 sk888888 M. C. Beaton (Marion Chesney) Death of a Snob Death of an Outsider Death Of A Traveling Man Death Of A Dustman Death of a Perfect Wife Death of a Hussy Andrea Camilleri A Nest of Vipers Pyramid of Mud The Overnight Kidnapper The Other End of the Line Death At Sea Montalbano's First Case and Other Stories Paul Cleave Joe Victim Cemetery Lake Collecting Cooper The Laughterhouse Five Minutes Alone Trust No One Barry Eisler A Lonely Resurrection Winner Take All The Last Assassin Paul Levine False Dawn Last Chance Lassiter Solomon vs. Lord Bum Deal Kill All The Lawyers State vs Lassiter Ed McBain Kiss Money, Money, Money Fat Ollie's Book The Frumious Bandersnatch Hark! The Gutter And The Grave Archer Mayor Borderlines Scent of Evil The Skeleton's Knee Fruits of the Poisonous Tree The Dark Root Nick Pirog 3:00 AM 3:10 AM 3:21 AM Unforseen 3:34 AM 3:46 AM Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Stephanie W. J. D. Robb
Visions In Death Survivor In Death Origin In Death Memory In Death Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 SueC Rhys Bowen (Janet Quin-Harkin) Murphy's Law Her Royal Spyness C. J. Box Savage Run Open Season Winterkill Trophy Hunt Out of Range In Plain Sight C. J. Box Free Fire Blood Trail Below Zero Nowhere to Run Cold Wind Breaking Point C. J. Box Stone Cold Elly Griffiths (Domenica de Rosa) The Ghost Fields The Zig Zag Girl Smoke and Mirrors The Blood Card The Vanishing Box Now You See Them Laurie R. King To Play the Fool A Grave Talent With Child Night Work The Art of Detection O Jerusalem Karen White The House on Tradd Street The Girl on Legare Street Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Tari Hann Avery Aames (Daryl Wood Gerber) Lost and Fondue A Sprinkling of Murder Ellery Adams The Book of Candlelight Peach Pies and Alibis Lyndsey Cole BlackBuried Pie Kathi Daley Cupid's Curse Christmas in Paradise Puppies in Paradise Much Ado About Felines Beach Blanket Barbie Joanna Fluke (Joanne Fischmann) Sugar Cookie Murder Blueberry Muffin Murder Coconut Layer Cake Murder Fudge Cupcake Murder Peach Cobbler Murder Lee Hollis (Rick Copp & Holly Simason) Poppy Harmon and the Hung Jury Death of a Blueberry Tart Death of a Chocoholic Tonya Kappes
Stamped Out Dead to the Last Drop Southern Fried Address for Murder Canyons, Caravans & Cadavers Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Traci L. Leslie Budewitz Death Al Dente Lucy Burdette
An Appetite for Murder V. M. Burns The Plot is Murder Read Herring Hunt Novel Art of Murder Wed, Read & Dead Bookmarked for Murder Laura Childs Eggs on Ice Mumbo Gumbo Murder Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express Mary Higgins Clark Kiss the Girls and Make them Cry Every Breath you Take Sheila Connolly Buried in a Bog Jessica Fletcher Aloha Betrayed The Murder of Twelve Amanda Flower Toxic Toffee Joanna Fluke (Joanne Fischmann) Coconut Layer Cake Murder Sally Goldenbaum Death by Cashmere Sherry Harris Let's Fake a Deal Jenn McKinlay Buried to the Brim Word to the Wise Hitting the Books Pumpkin Spice Peril Sara Paretsky Shell Game James Patterson 19th Christmas The Medical Examiner Private Games Debra Sennefelder Three Widows and a Corpse Joanna Campbell Slan Kiki Lowenstein and the Purple Passion Stuart Woods Stealth Treason Contraband Money Shot Hit List
* Pseudonyms (pen names) are set in italics.
Key: Target Shot! New Rolled over from 2019 Penultimate! Notch your gun!
- Shoot (read) six mysteries by the same target (author). You get one notch on your gun (and a prize) for each target completed.
- No advance signup needed, but you can grab a lane and set up a target before you begin reading if you like.
- Safety glasses and hearing protection are required.
- Shoot (read) book #1
- Submit the form.
- You will get a lane in the Shooting Gallery upon taking your first shot.
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat until you have read 6 books. Once you complete 6, you get a notch on your gun, and a prize.
- Please note the Shooting Gallery does not update in real time. This is a surprisingly low-tech operation. Your submission generates an email to The Grand Targetmeister, who will fill in the data.
- This is a rolling challenge. How does that work? At the end of the year (Dec 31 2020):
- A new page is set up for 2021, and the 2020 challenge is archived for your future reference.
- Completed targets are removed.
- Partially-completed targets roll over to 2021, provided there was some activity on that target during 2020. Otherwise they will be considered abandoned and removed.
- The challenge is open for business! Any reading from January 1 2019 is eligible.
- You get to define what is a "mystery".
- Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, or e-books may be used.
- Each completed target earns you a notch on your gun.
- Once you have completed a target, you can target the same author again for additional notches.
- You can target different authors simultaneously or consecutively.
- Young folks are especially welcome too. Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew readers are naturals!
- Pseudonyms count as the same author, for example, if your target is Erle Stanley Gardner, you can count books by A. A. Fair.
- You do not need to write reviews, but you are welcome to. If you supply a link to your blog or Goodreads review, I will link to it.
- Bloggers are welcome to copy any images from this challenge.
- Cross-entries from other challenges are encouraged.
- Never enter the secret passageway first.
- Each completed target in the Shooting Gallery gives you a notch on your gun and a prize. See the prize list for details.
- What about books that are a collaborative effort? The members of the Detection Club wrote a few novels where they (say from 5-7 members) wrote a couple of chapters each.I would suggest just calling the author "The Detection Club". We already treat dual authors as one anyway (Frances & Richard Lockridge, for example).
- As the 2019 partially-complete targets are still active, can you enter any reads from last year (2019)? I am guessing that any author read last year but not submitted for the six-shooter challenge in 2019 can now be submitted for it?I had a message the other day from a challenger who had read some of her target books in 2019 but had not submitted them to the challenge. This led me to think, since 2019 incomplete targets all rolled into 2020 anyway, she should still be able to enter them into the challenge. So I tried to note that on the page. The answer to your question is yes - any readings since January 2019 can still be entered - it really doesn't matter when you submit them, 2019 or 2020, they all count toward the target.
- What happens if targets started last year (2019) are still left unfinished this year (2020)? Will they roll over to 2021 (hoping that soon there would be a new dawn) or would they be removed as incomplete targets?Well, I am still thinking about how to handle this as the challenge begins to span a third year. At the moment, the plan is any incomplete targets will roll into the following year provided there was some activity on that target. If I have no submissions or contact with a person for over a year, I will consider that target abandoned and drop their targets off so we are not cluttered up with listings for people who are no longer active. I can always add them back in if they come back from the dead; since the archive pages are always around for reference.
- Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for participating!