|The Mystillery||Medical Examiner's Challenge||Six Shooter Challenge||bingo challenge||Abra Cadavers||Century Club|
- Your host is planning on issuing the newsletter on the first day of each month. Here, a few days early, is December newsletter #4
- Congrats to SueC for notching her eighth target, for author Susan Wittig Albert! She is now tied with your most modest host for most notched targets! (Although she did that with fewer shots, thus being more efficient and grabbing a higher TCP). !
- Congrats to Avid Series Reader for notching her fourth target, for author Kate Kingsbury, along with her fifth target for author Marcia Muller!
- Thinking about setting your reading goals for 2021? You can set up your targets for the 2021 challenge now. Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the names of your new author(s) and I will set up their targets in the 2020 challenge for you, then they will roll over to the 2021 challenge. Don't worry about the effect on your TCP *, it is not affected by the number of active targets you have up (we have an infinite number of lanes).
- The 2020 Six Shooter will close on Christmas Eve (Dec 24 2020). For the period Dec 25-31, you can still submit entries, they will be applied to the 2021 challenge. The rollover will go like this:
- Completed targets will be removed. (You will still be able to see your 2019 activity on the archived challenge page).
- Partially completed targets will roll into 2021 provided there was some activity on that target in 2020.
- If there was no activity on a target in 2020, that target will be considered abandoned and removed. Targets which are in danger of being dropped are now highlighted in red.
READER BOARD updated TUE NOV 24 2020 @ 4 PM EST Gunslingers: 18
sorted by TCP, then shots fired. highest stats highlighted in green.
More info Lynn
1.000 6 0 1 <-- books for you! Fanda
1.000 6 0 1 sk888888
.933 45 1 7 Bev Hankins
.818 44 3 6 SueC
.799 60 4 8 Rick Mills
.761 63 8 8 <-- books for you! Tari Hann
.585 41 7 4 Jjean
.461 13 4 1 JJA
.315 19 3 1 Avid Series Reader
.265 113 33 5 <-- books for you! Traci L.
.153 78 45 2 Ahcop
.000 32 11 0 Stephanie W
.000 4 1 0 Deanie
.000 2 2 0 Jane Reads
.000 1 6 0 Donnisha
.000 1 1 0 Nessa
.000 0 2 0 Boocks Books
.000 0 1 0 Lane open
This could be you. Come on in.
.000 0 0 0 Lane open
This lane is closest to the snack bar.
.000 0 0 0 Range Totals 521 shots fired 133 active targets 41 notches
challenger has moved up a row
highest stats per column
* TCP = Target Completion Percentage. This is similar to a batting average in baseball. It is the ratio of notches achieved (e.g., completed targets) to the number of shots taken. The formula is (completed targets/shots taken)*6. Completed targets will improve your TCP. However, shots that do not complete a target will lower your TCP. It's maddening, but that's the incentive to complete your targets, and it leads to a lot of exciting movement up and down the Reader Board. It also leads to the curious effect that you can rise in the Reader Board standings by simply doing nothing while other gunslingers read books that do not complete targets! Also note that the TCP is not affected by the number of active targets you have up (we have an infinite number of lanes), so load up the shooting gallery! Marge N. O'Vera, Shooting Gallery Statistician
Shooting gallery:alphabetical by gunslinger
Gunslinger Target * 1
(links to review)
2 3 4 5 6 Ahcop Miles Burton
Mr. Westerby Missing Tragedy at the Thirteenth Hole John Dickson Carr The Nine Wrong Answers Papa La-Bas Freeman Wills Crofts The Cask Joan Fleming The Chill and the Kill Miss Bones Death of a Sardine A Daisy Chain for Satan Maiden's Prayer Lucille Fletcher Mirror Image ...And Presumed Dead The Strange Blue Yawl Night Watch The Girl in Cabin B54 Anthony Gilbert Out For the Kill A Question of Murder Prelude to Murder Passenger to Nowhere P. M. Hubbard The Dancing Man A Rooted Sorrow A Thirsty Evil E. C. R. Lorac (Edith Rivett) Speak Justly of the Dead Relative to Poison Black Beadle The Last Escape Shroud of Darkness E. Phillips Oppenheim The Great Impersonation Jean Potts Go, Lovely Rose Death of a Stray Cat Hillary Waugh Sleep Long, My Love Girl on the Run Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Avid Series Reader L.L. Bartlett Dead in Red
Jeff Resnick #2
M. C. Beaton
(Marion Chesney Gibbons)
Death of a Traveling Man Death of a Prankster Death of a Greedy Woman Jessica Beck
Donut Shop Mystery #3
Donut Shop Mystery #4
Masked Ball at Broxley Manor
Royal Spyness #0.5
Naughty in Nice
Royal Spyness #5
In Like Flynn
Molly Murphy #4
Oh Danny Boy
Molly Murphy #5
12 Clues of Christmas
Royal Spyness #6
Dying in the Wool
Kate Shackleton #1
A Medal for Murder
Kate Shackleton #2
The Doublet Affair Queen's Ransom To Ruin a Queen Vanetta Chapman A Perfect Square Material Witness Barbara Cleverly The Damascened Blade The Palace Tiger The Bee's Kiss Philip R. Craig First Light Vineyard Enigma #13 A Vineyard Killing #14 Murder at a Vineyard Mansion #15 Vineyard Prey #16 Deborah Crombie All Shall Be Well Dreaming of the Bones Mourn Not Your Dead Leave the Grave Green Kissed a Sad Goodbye A Finer End Ellen Crosby Harvest of Secrets
Wine Country #9
Judy Ann Davis Four White Roses Up on the Roof Joan Druett Shark Island Run Afoul Deadly Shoals Martin Edwards I Remember You The Dungeon House Monica Ferris Thai Die Knitting Bones Charles Finch The Woman in the Water A Death in the Small Hours An Old Betrayal The Laws of Murder Home by Nightfall Diana Gabaldon Lord John and the Hellfire Club
Lord John Grey #0.5
Lord John and the Private Matter
Lord John Grey #1
Lord John and the Succubus
Lord John Grey #1.5
Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade
Lord John Grey #2
Lord John and the Haunted Soldier
Lord John Grey #2.5
Virgins Caroline Graham The Killings at Badger's Drift
Inspector Barnaby #1
Death of a Hollow Man
Inspector Barnaby #2
Kerry Greenwood The Green Mill Murder Blood and Circuses Forbidden Fruit Cooking the Books Elly Griffiths (Domenica de Rosa) Smoke and Mirrors
Stephens & Mephisto #2
The Blood Card
Stephens & Mephisto #3
Martha Grimes The Knowledge
Richard Jury #24
The Old Success
Richard Jury #25
Sarah Jio The Violets of March The Bungalow Mari Jungstedt Unspoken
Anders Knutas #2
The Inner Circle
Anders Knutas #3
(Doreen Roberts Height)
For Whom Death Tolls Dig Deep for Murder Dead and Breakfast Mind Over Murder
Raven's Nest #1
A Sinister Sense Doom with a View
Merry Ghost Inn #2
Adrian McKinty The Cold Cold Ground Kristina McMorris Letters from Home The Edge of Lost Henning Mankell The Fifth Woman Steve Martini Compelling Evidence
Paul Madriani #1
Paul Madriani #2
Paul Madriani #3
Susan Meissner A Bridge Across the Ocean A Sound Among the Trees Marcia Muller The McCone Files The Dangerous Hour
Sharon McCone #22
The Vanishing Point
Sharon McCone #23
The Ever-Running Man Point Deception
Cape Perdido #1
Sharon McCone #25
Carol O'Connell Find Me Judas Child The Chalk Girl It Happened in the Dark
Kathleen Mallory #11
Bone By Bone Ann Parker What Gold Buys A Dying Note Sandra Parshall Broken Places Disturbing the Dead Michael Pearce A Dead Man in Trieste
Seymour of Special Branch #1
A Dead Man in Istanbul
Seymour of Special Branch #2
A Dead Man in Athens
Seymour of Special Branch #3
A Dead Man in Tangier
Seymour of Special Branch #4
Andrea Penrose Murder at Black Swan Lane
Wrexford & Sloane #1
Lady Arianna Regency Mystery #1
Stefanie Pintoff In the Shadow of Gotham David Rosenfelt Open and Shut Sudden Death Bury the Lead First Degree Dead Center Play Dead Ann B. Ross Miss Julia Throws a Wedding #3 Miss Julia Hits the Road #4 Miss Julia Meets Her Match #5 Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Bev Hankins Agatha Christie 4:50 from Paddington And Then There Were None The Unexpected Guest The Murder of Roger Ackroyd The Big Four The Mystery of the Blue Train Agatha Christie The Clocks The Seven Dials Mystery Partners in Crime The Mysterious Mr. Quin Murder at the Vicarage Death on the Nile Agatha Christie The ABC Murders Peril at End House Douglas Clark Nobody's Perfect Death After Evensong Deadly Pattern Golden Rain The Longest Pleasure The Gimmel Flask C. S. Harris What Angels Fear When Gods Die Why Mermaids Sing Where Serpents Sleep Lee Harris
The Christening Day Murder The Valentine's Day Murder The Passover Murder The New Year's Eve Murder The April Fool's Day Murder The Bar Mitzvah Murder Claude Izner (Liliane Korb & Laurence Lefèvre) Murder on the Eiffel Tower The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise Frances & Richard Lockridge Killing the Goose Spin Your Web, Lady! Stand Up and Die Curtain for a Jester Murder in a Hurry A Client Is Cancelled Dorothy L. Sayers Gaudy Night Unnatural Death Thrones, Dominations The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club Have His Carcase The Nine Tailors Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Boocks Books Tonya Kappes Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Deanie Agatha Christie And Then There Were None J. D. Robb (Nora Roberts) Divided in Death Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Donnisha Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling) The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Fanda Agatha Christie The Sittaford Mystery Peril at End House Lord Edgeware Dies a.p.a. 13 at Dinner Murder on the Orient Express Three Act Tragedy Why Didn't They Ask Evans? Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Jane Reads Ellie Alexander
Rita Mae Brown V. M. Burns J. C. Eaton Botched 4 Murder Karen MacInerney Diane Vallere Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 JJA Robert Arthur Jr. The Secret of Terror Castle
Three Investigators #1
The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot
Three Investigators #2
The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy
Three Investigators #3
Enid Blyton The Secret Of Cliff Castle Smuggler Ben The Boy Who Wanted A Dog The Mystery of The Missing Necklace
Five Find-Outers #5
The Mystery of Holly Lane
Five Find-Outers #11
Franklin W. Dixon Running on Fumes
Undercover Brothers #2
Undercover Brothers #5
Undercover Brothers # 7
Top Ten Ways to Die
Undercover Brothers #8
Undercover Brothers # 9
Luther Tsai and Nury Vittachi The Visionary Voyage
Magic Mirror #1
The Traveller's Tale
Magic Mirror #2
The Tomb of Time
Magic Mirror #3
The Wall of Willows
Magic Mirror #4
The Shining Scripture
Magic Mirror #5
The Chess Pavilion
Magic Mirror #6
Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 tr align="left" valign="top"> Jjean David Baldacci The Fallen A Minute to Midnight One Good Deed Michael Connelly Fair Warning Night Fire Stephen King Bag of Bones The Institute James Patterson Alex Cross's Trial The River Murders 20th Victim Texas Outlaw Worst Case The 5th Horseman Danielle Steel Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Lynn R.D. Wingfield Frost at Christmas
Inspector Frost #1
A Touch of Frost
Inspector Frost #2
Inspector Frost #3
Inspector Frost #4
Inspector Frost #5
Morning Frost Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Nessa Jessa Archer Agatha Christie Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Rick Mills Leslie Charteris The Saint Goes On Saint Overboard The Brighter Buccaneer The Saint and the Templar Treasure The Saint in Miami The Avenging Saint Agatha Christie Manning Coles (Adelaide Manning & Cyril Coles) Drink to Yesterday Toast to Tomorrow They Tell No Tales Now or Never Not Negotiable A Knife for the Juggler Philip R. Craig Death in Vineyard Waters #2 Death on a Vineyard Beach #7 Vineyard Enigma #13 Murder at a Vineyard Mansion #15 Arthur Conan Doyle A Study in Scarlet The Sign of the Four The Hound of the Baskervilles The Valley of Fear The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes J. Jefferson Farjeon Mystery in White Seven Dead The Z Murders No. 17 The Master Criminal Thirteen Guests Hulbert Footner The Under Dogs The Deaves Affair The Whip-Poor-Will Mystery Murder Runs in the Family The Mystery of the Folded Paper Erle Stanley Gardner The D.A. Calls it Murder
Doug Selby #1
The D.A. Holds a Candle
Doug Selby #2
The D.A. Draws a Circle
Doug Selby #3
The D.A. Goes to Trial
Doug Selby #4
The D.A. Cooks a Goose
Doug Selby #5
The D.A. Calls A Turn
Doug Selby #6
Erle Stanley Gardner The D.A. Breaks a Seal
Doug Selby #7
The D.A. Takes a Chance
Doug Selby #8
The D.A. Breaks an Egg
Doug Selby #9
The Case of the Musical Cow Murder Up My Sleeve
Terry Clane #1
The Case of the Backward Mule
Terry Clane #2
Erle Stanley Gardner This is Murder Martha Grimes Kathleen Moore Knight The Trouble at Turkey Hill Death Came Dancing Bait for Murder Ellery Queen
Frederic Dannay & Manfred Lee
Dorothy L. Sayers Whose Body? Clouds of Witness Murder Must Advertise Gaudy Night Strong Poison Have His Carcase Edgar Wallace The Four Just Men The Secret House The Man Who Knew The Girl from Scotland Yard The Feathered Serpent The Dark Eyes of London Carolyn Wells The Clue The Maxwell Mystery Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 sk888888 M. C. Beaton
Death of a Snob Death of an Outsider Death Of A Traveling Man Death Of A Dustman Death of a Perfect Wife Death of a Hussy Andrea Camilleri A Nest of Vipers Pyramid of Mud The Overnight Kidnapper The Other End of the Line Death At Sea Montalbano's First Case and Other Stories Paul Cleave Joe Victim Cemetery Lake Collecting Cooper The Laughterhouse Five Minutes Alone Trust No One Barry Eisler A Lonely Resurrection Winner Take All The Last Assassin Paul Levine False Dawn Last Chance Lassiter Solomon vs. Lord Bum Deal Kill All The Lawyers State vs Lassiter Ed McBain Kiss Money, Money, Money Fat Ollie's Book The Frumious Bandersnatch Hark! The Gutter And The Grave Archer Mayor Borderlines Scent of Evil The Skeleton's Knee Fruits of the Poisonous Tree The Dark Root Ragman's Memory Nick Pirog 3:00 AM 3:10 AM 3:21 AM Unforseen 3:34 AM 3:46 AM Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Stephanie W. J. D. Robb
Visions In Death Survivor In Death Origin In Death Memory In Death Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 SueC Susan Wittig Albert Dead Man's Bones Bleeding Hearts Spanish Dagger Nightshade Wormwood The Darling Dahlias and the Poinsettia Puzzle Donna Andrews Duck the Halls The Good, the Bad, and the Emus Rhys Bowen
Murphy's Law Her Royal Spyness
Royal Spyness #1
A Royal Pain
Royal Spyness #2
Royal Spyness #3
Royal Spyness #4
Naughty in Nice
Royal Spyness #5
The Twelve Clues of Christmas
Royal Spyness #6
Heirs and Graces
Royal Spyness #7
Queen of Hearts
Royal Spyness #8
Malice at the Palace
Royal Spyness #9
Crowned and Dangerous
Royal Spyness #10
On Her Majesty's Frightfully Secret Service
Royal Spyness #11
C. J. Box Savage Run Open Season Winterkill Trophy Hunt Out of Range In Plain Sight C. J. Box Free Fire Blood Trail Below Zero Nowhere to Run Cold Wind Breaking Point C. J. Box Stone Cold Endangered Off the Grid Vicious Circle The Disappeared Wolf Pack Elly Griffiths (Domenica de Rosa) The Ghost Fields The Zig Zag Girl Smoke and Mirrors The Blood Card The Vanishing Box Now You See Them Laurie R. King To Play the Fool A Grave Talent With Child Night Work The Art of Detection O Jerusalem Laurie R. King Justice Hall The Game Patrick McManus The Blight Way
Sheriff Bo Tully #1
Sheriff Bo Tully #2
Anne Perry A Christmas Grace Karen White The House on Tradd Street The Girl on Legare Street The Strangers on Montagu Street Return to Tradd Street The Guests on South Battery Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Tari Hann Avery Aames
(Daryl Wood Gerber)
Lost and Fondue A Sprinkling of Murder Ellery Adams The Book of Candlelight Peach Pies and Alibis Lyndsey Cole BlackBuried Pie Very Buried Cheesecake Kathi Daley Cupid's Curse Christmas in Paradise Puppies in Paradise Much Ado About Felines Beach Blanket Barbie Maui Madness Kathi Daley Derby Divas Haunted Hamlet Halloween Moon Turkeys, Tuxes and Tabbies Joanna Fluke
Sugar Cookie Murder Blueberry Muffin Murder Coconut Layer Cake Murder Fudge Cupcake Murder Peach Cobbler Murder Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder Joanna Fluke
Christmas Cupcake Murder Lee Hollis
(Rick Copp & Holly Simason)
Poppy Harmon and the Hung Jury Death of a Blueberry Tart Death of a Chocoholic Death of a Wicked Witch Murder at the PTA Tonya Kappes
Stamped Out Dead to the Last Drop Southern Fried Address for Murder Canyons, Caravans & Cadavers Assailants, Asphalt & Alibis Tonya Kappes
Sunsets, Sabbatical & Scandal All She Wrote Return to Sender First Class Killer Tents, Trails & Turmoil Kickbacks, Kayaks & Kidnapping Tonya Kappes
Gear, Grills & Guns Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Traci L. Ellery Adams Murder in the Storybook Cottage Winnie Archer Flour in the Attic Bree Baker Live and Let Chai Rhys Bowen
Her Royal Spyness Leslie Budewitz Death Al Dente Joseph Mark Brewer Tokyo Summer Lucy Burdette
An Appetite for Murder V. M. Burns The Plot is Murder Read Herring Hunt Novel Art of Murder Wed, Read & Dead Bookmarked for Murder Lynn Cahoon Who Moved my Goat Cheese Kate Carlisle The Grim Reader Laurie Cass Lending a Paw Vivien Chien Egg Drop Dead Laura Childs Eggs on Ice Mumbo Gumbo Murder Parchment and Old Lace Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express Mary Higgins Clark Kiss the Girls and Make them Cry Every Breath you Take Leena Clover Gone With the Wings Nancy Coco
(Nancy J. Parra)
All Fudged Up Sheila Connolly Buried in a Bog Donna Amis Davis Danger at the Dive Shack Disquiet at the Dive Shack Duplicity at the Dive Shack Jessica Fletcher Aloha Betrayed The Murder of Twelve A Time for Murder Amanda Flower Toxic Toffee Crime and Poetry Joanna Fluke
Coconut Layer Cake Murder Sarah Fox Wine and Punishment An Ale of Two Cities Sally Goldenbaum Death by Cashmere J. M. Griffin Left Fur Dead Who's Dead, Doc? Sherry Harris Let's Fake a Deal Miranda James (Dean James) Bless Her Dead Little Heart Jennifer Joy Cabs, Cakes and Corpses Rum Raisin Revenge Tonya Kappes Beaches, Bungalows and Burglaries Libby Klein Class Reunions are Murder Midnight Snacks are Murder Restaurant Weeks are Murder C A Larmer Agatha Christie Book Club Ruby Loren The Florist and the funeral Jenn McKinlay Buried to the Brim Word to the Wise Hitting the Books Pumpkin Spice Peril One for the Books Alyssa Maxwell Murder at the Breakers Colleen Mooney Rescued by a Kiss Catie Murphy Dead in Dublin Sara Paretsky Shell Game James Patterson 19th Christmas The Medical Examiner Private Games 20th Victim Private The Games Private Gold Meredith Potts Chocolates with a side of murder Sara Rosett Death in the English Countryside Debra Sennefelder Three Widows and a Corpse Paige Shelton To Helvetica and Back Joanna Campbell Slan Kiki Lowenstein and the Purple Passion Denise Swanson Winner Cake All Ruth Ware
The Woman in Cabin 10 Stuart Woods Stealth Treason Contraband Money Shot Hit List Bombshell Ovidia Yu Aunty Lee's Delights
* Pseudonyms (pen names) are set in italics.
Key: Target Shot! Notch! New Rolled over from 2019 Almost there! Notch your gun! Endangered
- Shoot (read) six mysteries by the same target (author). You get one notch on your gun (and a prize) for each target completed.
- You can sign up on this page.
- Shoot (read) book #1
- Submit the form.
- Reload,repeat until you have read 6 books. Once you complete 6, you get a notch on your gun.
- Please note the Shooting Gallery does not update in real time. Your submission generates an email to The Grand Targetmeister, who will fill in the data.
- This is a rolling challenge. How does that work? At the end of the year (Dec 31 2020):
- A new page is set up for 2021, and the 2020 challenge is archived for your future reference.
- Completed targets are removed.
- Partially-completed targets roll over to 2021, provided there was some activity on that target during 2020. Otherwise they will be considered abandoned and removed.
- 2020 close: The 2020 challenge will close December 24, 2020 at midnight.
- Maintenance: Between Dec 25-31 2020, your host will be resetting the challenge for the next opening. You can still submit entries during that period, they will appear in the 2021 challenge.
- 2021 open: The 2021 challenge will open January 1, 2021.
- Genres: You get to decide what is a 'mystery'. Traditional murder mysteries, thrillers, police procedurals, young adult, romances, all are welcome.
- Formats: Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, or e-books may be used.
- Each completed target earns you a notch on your gun.
- Once you have completed a target, you can target the same author again for additional notches.
- You can target different authors simultaneously or consecutively.
- Young folks are especially welcome too. Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew readers are naturals!
- Pseudonyms count as the same author, for example, if your target is Erle Stanley Gardner, you can count books by A. A. Fair.
- You do not need to write reviews, but you are welcome to. If you supply a link to your blog or Goodreads review, I will link to it.
- Bloggers are welcome to copy any images from this challenge.
- Never enter the secret passageway first.
- Each completed target in the Shooting Gallery gives you a notch on your gun and a prize. See the prize list for details.
- What about books that are a collaborative effort? The members of the Detection Club wrote a few novels where they (say from 5-7 members) wrote a couple of chapters each.I would suggest just calling the author "The Detection Club". We already treat dual authors as one anyway (Frances & Richard Lockridge, for example).
- Questions? Email me at email@example.com. Thank you for participating!