|2020 Six Shooter Mystery Reading Challenge|
- At the close of the 2019 challenge (December 31, 2019), the challenge will roll over here for 2020. Completed targets will be removed. Uncompleted targets will be carried over. (The 2019 challenge page will remain online for your reference).
- The 2020 Murder Mystery Bingo Reading Challenge is now open! Get a head start on 2020 on this one.
- Can't remember who wrote the Father Brown series? All is revealed in the new Author/Detective quick reference guide. (Please send along any I have missed).
- One of our gunslingers, Avid Series Reader, points out that this challenge is a nice complement to the Three-In-A-Row Reading Challenge, so check that one out too! Your shots here can count there - and vice versa!
Shooting The Wheel That Turned by Kathleen Moore Knight
In this challenge, the concept of shooting books
is just our way of setting a goal, it does not imply
we do not like the books!
READER BOARD as of JAN 1 2020
sorted by TCP (Target Completion Percentage) *
Gunslinger TCP* Notches Shots More ammo Rick Mills
.000 0 0 Lane available.
This could be you.
.000 0 0 Lane available.
This could be you.
.000 0 0
* TCP = Target Completion Percentage. This is similar to a batting average in baseball. It is the ratio of notches achieved to the number of shots taken. The formula is (notches/shots taken)*6. Completed targets will improve your TCP. However, shots that do not complete a target will lower your TCP. It's maddening, but that's the incentive to complete your targets. Ask your doctor if TCP is right for you. - Marge N. O'Vera, Shooting Gallery Statistician
(links to bio)
(links to review)
Shot 2 Shot 3 Shot 4 Shot 5 Shot 6
Key: Target Shot! Updated One shot to go! Notch your gun!
- Shoot (read) six mysteries by the same target (author). You get one notch on your gun (and a prize) for each target completed.
- No advance signup needed.
- Safety glasses and hearing protection are required.
- Shoot (read) book #1
- Submit the form.
- You will get a line placed in the Shooting Gallery upon your first shot.
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat until you have read 6 books. Once you complete 6, you get a notch on your gun, and a prize.
- Please note the Shooting Gallery does not update in real time. This is a surprisingly low-tech operation. Your submission generates an email to The Grand Targetmeister, who will fill in the data.
- The challenge is open for business! Challenge runs Jan 1 - Dec 31 2020. Plenty of time to jump in!
- You get to define what is a "mystery".
- Print books, audio books, or e-books may be used.
- Each completed targets earns you a notch on your gun.
- Once you have completed a target, you can target the same author again for additional notches.
- You can target different authors simultaneously or consecutively.
- Young folks are especially welcome too. Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew readers are naturals!
- Pseudonyms count as the same author, for example, if your target is Erle Stanley Gardner, you can count books by A. A. Fair.
- You do not need to write reviews, but you are welcome to. If you supply a link to your blog or Goodreads review, I will link to it.
- Bloggers are welcome to copy the target image from the header for your blog.
- Cross-entries from other challenges are encouraged.
- Never enter the secret passageway first.
- Each completed line in the Shooting Gallery gives you a notch on your gun and a prize. See the prize list for details.
- Questions? Email me at email@example.com. Thank you for participating!
Want more challenges?
- 2020 Medical Examiner Mystery Reading Challenge
- 2020 Murder Mystery Bingo Reading Challenge
- Bev Hankin's Reading Challenge Addict - big list of challenges
I don't think it's healthy for a man to be always brooding over crime and detective stories. Reading up on all sorts of cases. It puts ideas into his head. - Inspector Japp in Agatha Christie's Death in the Air
Home This is a virtual shooting gallery. No actual books were harmed in the creation of this challenge. Do not read books for this challenge while operating a motor vehicle, watercraft, aircraft, locomotive, or lawnmower. All models are over 18 years of age. Do not use while sleeping. Any reproduction, retransmission or rebroadcast without the express, written consent of Major League Baseball is strictly prohibited.