|2019 Six Shooter Mystery Reading Challenge|
- Congratulations to Ahcop, who just finished his Victor Bridges target! Find out more about Victor Bridges here!
- Thinking about taking the Six Shooter Challenge in 2020? Here's what will happen to the challenge. At the end of this year's challenge (December 2019), the challenge will roll over for 2020. Completed targets will be removed. (The 2019 challenge page will remain online for your reference). Any uncompleted targets will be carried over to the 2020 challenge (since the purpose of the challenge is to encourage reading them in the first place). So you should feel free to open up new targets, even late in the year. You have nothing to lose.
- A new challenge is in the works for 2020: Murder Mystery Bingo. This one is easy, no need to document or submit details about any books. You get (well, you print) four bingo cards which you tuck in your current book and circle the items as you come across them (one card for each of these categories: Weapons, Crime Scenes, Clues, and Red Herrings. Your goal is to get Bingo on all four cards during the year. Look for the "soft opening" around Thanksgiving for this challenge.
- One of our gunslingers, Avid Series Reader, points out that this challenge is a nice complement to the Three-In-A-Row Reading Challenge, so check that one out too! Your shots here can count there - and vice versa!
Shooting The Wheel That Turned by Kathleen Moore Knight
In this challenge, the concept of shooting books
is just our way of setting a goal, it does not imply
we do not like the books!
READER BOARD as of SAT NOV 16
sorted by TCP (Target Completion Percentage) *
Gunslinger TCP* Notches Shots More ammo sk888888
1.000 3 18 Lynn
1.000 1 6 Tari Hann
.923 2 13 Rick Mills
.915 9 59 Stephanie W
.852 3 21 Bev Hankins
.600 3 30 Ahcop
.600 2 20 Avid Series Reader
.000 0 7 Lane available.
This could be you.
.000 0 0 Lane available.
This could be you.
.000 0 0
* TCP = Target Completion Percentage. This is the ratio of notches achieved to the number of shots taken. The formula is (notches/shots taken)*6. Completed targets will improve your TCP. However, shots that do not complete a target will lower your TCP. It's maddening, but that's the incentive to complete your targets. Ask your doctor if TCP is right for you. - Marge N. O'Vera, Shooting Gallery Statistician
(links to bio)
(links to review)
Shot 2 Shot 3 Shot 4 Shot 5 Shot 6 Ahcop Francis Beeding
The Norwich Victims The League of Discontent The Black Arrows Death in Four Letters No Fury Take it Crooked Ahcop Victor Bridges Dusky Night The Happy Murderers It Happened in Essex Greensea Island The King Comes Back The Secret of the Creek Ahcop John Dickson Carr The Nine Wrong Answers Ahcop Anthony Gilbert Out For the Kill A Question of Murder Ahcop Marie Belloc Lowndes And Call It Accident The House by the Sea The Injured Lover The Lonely House Ahcop Jean Potts Go, Lovely Rose Avid Series Reader Philip R. Craig First Light Vineyard Enigma Avid Series Reader Charles Finch The Woman in the Water A Death in the Small Hours Avid Series Reader Marcia Muller The McCone Files The Dangerous Hour Avid Series Reader Carol O'Connell Find Me Bev Hankins Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles The Secret Adversary Murder on the LInks The Man in the Brown Suit Poirot Investigates The Secret of Chimneys Bev Hankins Agatha Christie 4:50 from Paddington And Then There Were None The Unexpected Guest Bev Hankins Frances & Richard Lockridge Killing the Goose Bev Hankins Ngaio Marsh Died in the Wool Final Curtain A Wreath for Rivera Opening Night Spinsters in Jeopardy Scales of Justice Bev Hankins Ngaio Marsh Death of a Fool Singing in the Shrouds False Scent Hand in Glove Dead Water Bev Hankins Dorothy L. Sayers Clouds of Witness Whose Body? Lord Peter Views the Body Murder Must Advertise Strong Poison The Five Red Herrings Bev Hankins Dorothy L. Sayers Gaudy Night Unnatural Death Thrones, Dominations Lynn John Dunning Booked To Die The Bookman's Wake The Bookman's Promise The Sign of the Book The Bookwoman's Last Fling Two O'Clock Eastern Wartime Rick Mills John Dickson Carr (Carter Dickson) The Lost Gallows The White Priory Murders And So To Murder The House at Satan's Elbow The Men Who Explained Miracles The Burning Court Rick Mills Agatha Christie And Then There Were None The Hollow There Is A Tide The A.B.C. Murders Death in the Air A Murder Is Announced Rick Mills Mignon Eberhart Speak No Evil El Rancho Rio The Man Next Door Five Passengers from Lisbon Three Days for Emeralds Fair Warning Rick Mills A. A. Fair
(Erle Stanley Gardner)
Give Em the Ax Kept Women Can't Quit Case of the Negligent Nymph Bedrooms Have Windows Bachelors Get Lonely Bats Fly at Dusk Rick Mills Rufus King Murder By The Clock Museum Piece No. 13 Now reading: Murder in the Willett Family Rick Mills Kathleen Moore Knight Footbridge to Death The Tainted Token Stream Sinister The Wheel That Turned Birds of Ill Omen Death Blew Out The Match Rick Mills Ellery Queen The Perfect Crime The Origin of Evil The House of Brass The Roman Hat Mystery The Finishing Stroke Face to Face Rick Mills Mary Roberts Rinehart The Window at the White Cat Episode of the Wandering Knife The Secret Miss Pinkerton The Bat The Case of Jennie Brice Rick Mills Rex Stout And Be a Villain Where There's a Will Might As Well Be Dead Too Many Clients Trouble in Triplicate Before Midnight Rick Mills Carolyn Wells Deep Lake Mystery The Come Back In The Onyx Lobby Vicky Van Feathers Left Around Face Cards Rick Mills Valentine Williams The Fox Prowls Clubfoot the Avenger The Eye in Attendance sk888888 Owen Laukkanen The Professionals Criminal Enterprise Kill Fee The Stolen Ones The Watcher In The Wall The Forgotten Girls sk888888 Paul Levine Night Vision Mortal Sin Riptide Fool Me Twice Flesh & Bones Lassiter sk888888 Ed McBain The Con Man Killer's Choice Lady Killer 'Til Death Lady, Lady, I Did It! Ax Stephanie W. J. D. Robb
Naked in Death Immortal in Death Rapture in Death Vengeance in Death Holiday In Death Conspiracy in Death Stephanie W. J. D. Robb
Loyalty In Death Judgment In Death Betrayal In Death Midnight In Death Interlude In Death Seduction In Death Stephanie W. J. D. Robb
Reunion In Death Portrait In Death Imitation In Death Purity In Death Remember When Divided In Death Stephanie W. J. D. Robb
Visions In Death Survivor In Death Origin In Death Tari Hann Tonya Kappes
aka Maymee Bell
Batter Off Dead A Charming Cure Decaffeinated Scandal Forests, Fishing and Forgery Fixin' to Die A Killer Latte Tari Hann Tonya Kappes
aka Maymee Bell
Stamped Out Tari Hann Ellery Adams The Whispered Word A Killer Plot Pies and Prejudice Murder in the Paperback Parlor Murder in the Secret Garden Murder in the Locked Library
Key: Target Shot! Updated One shot to go! Notch your gun!
- Shoot (read) six mysteries by the same target (author). You get one notch on your gun (and a prize) for each target completed.
- No advance signup needed.
- Safety glasses and hearing protection are required.
- Shoot (read) book #1
- Submit the form.
- You will get a line placed in the Shooting Gallery upon your first shot.
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat until you have read 6 books. Once you complete 6, you get a notch on your gun, and a prize.
- Please note the Shooting Gallery does not update in real time. This is a surprisingly low-tech operation. Your submission generates an email to The Grand Targetmeister, who will fill in the data.
- The challenge is open for business! Challenge runs Jan 1 - Dec 31 2019. Plenty of time to jump in!
- You get to define what is a "mystery".
- Print books, audio books, or e-books may be used.
- Each completed targets earns you a notch on your gun.
- Once you have completed a target, you can target the same author again for additional notches.
- You can target different authors simultaneously or consecutively.
- Young folks are especially welcome too. Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew readers are naturals!
- Pseudonyms count as the same author, for example, if your target is Erle Stanley Gardner, you can count books by A. A. Fair.
- You do not need to write reviews, but you are welcome to. If you supply a link to your blog or Goodreads review, I will link to it.
- Bloggers are welcome to copy the target image from the header for your blog.
- Cross-entries from other challenges are encouraged.
- Never enter the secret passageway first.
- Each completed line in the Shooting Gallery gives you a notch on your gun and a prize. See the prize list for details.
- Suppose we are unable to complete a target for an author by December? At the end of the challenge (December 2019), the challenge will roll over for 2020. Completed targets will be removed. (The 2019 challenge page will remain online for your reference). Any uncompleted targets will be carried over to the 2020 challenge (since the purpose of the challenge is to encourage reading them in the first place). So you should feel free to open up new targets, even late in the year.
- Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for participating!
Want more challenges?
- 2019 Medical Examiner Mystery Reading Challenge
- 2019 Just the Facts, Ma'am Challenge
- 2020 Murder Mystery Bingo Reading Challenge
- 2019 Alphabet Soup Challenge - 26 Titles
- 2019 Alphabet Soup Challenge Author Edition - 26 Authors
- Bev Hankin's Reading Challenge Addict - big list of challenges
I don't think it's healthy for a man to be always brooding over crime and detective stories. Reading up on all sorts of cases. It puts ideas into his head. - Inspector Japp in Agatha Christie's Death in the Air
Home This is a virtual shooting gallery. No actual books were harmed in the creation of this challenge. Do not read books for this challenge while operating a motor vehicle, watercraft, aircraft, locomotive, or lawnmower. All models are over 18 years of age. Do not use while sleeping. Any reproduction, retransmission or rebroadcast without the express, written consent of Major League Baseball is strictly prohibited.