- Welcome to the 2021 Six Shooter Challenge! The challenge is open. Advance signup is no longer needed. Just read a book and submit your first entry.
- Your goal is to shoot (read) six mysteries by the same target (author). You get one notch on your gun for each target completed.
- Congrats to SueC for her first notch of 2021, with author Patrick F. McManus! By using exactly six shots, she has achieved a perfect 1.000 score!
- To conserve space, as of February 1, only active gunslingers will be shown on this page. If you are no longer shown, just submit a book to the challenge to become active.
- Here is Mystillery Newsletter #5 for January
READER BOARD updated TUE JAN 19 2021 @ 8 PM EST convert
sorted by score, then shots. highest stats highlighted in green.
x6 = TCP + bonus = score More ammo! Tari Hann
1 4 1.500 0 1.500 SueC
1 6 1.000 0 1.000 Rick Mills
0 7 0.000 0 0.000 <-- books for you! OutsmartYourShelf
0 4 0.000 0 0.000 Avid Series Reader
0 4 0.000 0 0.000 <-- books for you! Ahcop
0 2 0.000 0 0.000 Jjean
0 2 0.000 0 0.000 Sharon Angle-Boyer
0 1 0.000 0 0.000 Fanda
0 1 0.000 0 0.000 Bev Hankins
0 0 Candy Bowe
0 0 Cimorene
0 0 C0NTENTH0MEB0DY
0 0 Deanie
0 0 Donnisha
0 0 Firsttimechallenge
0 0 JJA
0 0 Karen Baroness
0 0 Kirsten Porter
0 0 Krista Kirby
0 0 Megotducktape
0 0 Niffer
0 0 Ray
0 0 Sanacrow
0 0 Simone C
0 0 sk888888
0 0 Traci L.
Key: Moved upx Sorted by High column stat
- Notch = Sets of six books by one author completed
- Shots = Total number of books read
- TCP = Target Completion Percentage. Ratio of notches achieved to the number of shots taken. The formula is (notches/shots)*6.
- Bonus = Each notch (beyond the first one) directly adds a 0.100 bonus
- Score = TCP + bonus
Shooting gallery:alphabetical by gunslinger
Gunslinger Target * 1
(links to review)
2 3 4 5 6 Ahcop John Dickson Carr The Nine Wrong Answers Papa La-Bas The Mad Hatter Mystery It Walks by Night The Man Who Could Not Shudder
Freeman Wills Crofts The Cask Elizabeth Daly Unexpected Night
Henry Gamadge #1
Henry Gamadge #2
Erle Stanley Gardner The Case of the Gilded Lily
Perry Mason #50
Anthony Gilbert Out For the Kill A Question of Murder Prelude to Murder Passenger to Nowhere P. M. Hubbard The Dancing Man A Rooted Sorrow A Thirsty Evil E. Phillips Oppenheim The Great Impersonation The Golden Beast The Grassleyes Mystery Joseph Shearing
Aunt Beardie The Crimes of Laura Sarelle Hillary Waugh Sleep Long, My Love Girl on the Run Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Avid Series Reader L.L. Bartlett Dead in Red
Jeff Resnick #2
Donut Shop Mystery #3
Donut Shop Mystery #4
Dying in the Wool
Kate Shackleton #1
A Medal for Murder
Kate Shackleton #2
The Doublet Affair Queen's Ransom To Ruin a Queen Vanetta Chapman A Perfect Square Material Witness Barbara Cleverly The Damascened Blade The Palace Tiger The Bee's Kiss Cleo Coyle
(Alice Alfonsi & Marc Cerasini)
The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller
Haunted Bookshop #6
Ellen Crosby Harvest of Secrets
Wine Country #9
Judy Ann Davis Four White Roses Up on the Roof Joan Druett Shark Island Run Afoul Deadly Shoals Martin Edwards I Remember You The Dungeon House Monica Ferris Thai Die Knitting Bones Nicci French
(Nicci Gerrard & Sean French)
Freida Klein #1
Diana Gabaldon The Scottish Prisoner
Lord John Grey #3
Tess Gerritsen The Shape of Night Chris Grabenstein Mad Mouse
John Ceepak #2
Caroline Graham The Killings at Badger's Drift
Inspector Barnaby #1
Death of a Hollow Man
Inspector Barnaby #2
Wreck the Halls
Home Repair is Homicide #5
Iona Grey Letters to the Lost Elly Griffiths
(Domenica de Rosa)
Smoke and Mirrors
Stephens & Mephisto #2
The Blood Card
Stephens & Mephisto #3
Martha Grimes The Knowledge
Richard Jury #24
The Old Success
Richard Jury #25
John Harvey Darkness & Light Sarah Jio The Violets of March The Bungalow Mari Jungstedt Unspoken
Anders Knutas #2
The Inner Circle
Anders Knutas #3
Erin Kelly The Poison Tree Karen MacInerney Brush with Death
Gray Whale Inn #5
Death Runs Adrift
Gray Whale Inn #6
Adrian McKinty The Cold Cold Ground Kristina McMorris Letters from Home The Edge of Lost Christine Mangan Tangerine Henning Mankell The Fifth Woman Steve Martini Compelling Evidence
Paul Madriani #1
Paul Madriani #2
Paul Madriani #3
Peter May Firemaker
China Thrillers #1
Susan Meissner A Bridge Across the Ocean A Sound Among the Trees Ann Parker What Gold Buys A Dying Note T. Jefferson Parker The Fallen Sandra Parshall Broken Places Disturbing the Dead Michael Pearce A Dead Man in Trieste
Seymour of Special Branch #1
A Dead Man in Istanbul
Seymour of Special Branch #2
A Dead Man in Athens
Seymour of Special Branch #3
A Dead Man in Tangier
Seymour of Special Branch #4
A Dead Man in Barcelona
Seymour of Special Branch #5
Andrea Penrose Murder at Black Swan Lane
Wrexford & Sloane #1
Lady Arianna Regency Mystery #1
Anne Perry A Christmas Return
Christmas Mysteries #15
A Christmas Revelation
Christmas Mysteries #16
Stefanie Pintoff In the Shadow of Gotham Lucinda Riley The Love Letter The Orchid House Michael Robotham Lost
Joseph O'Loughlin #2
Joseph O'Loughlin #3
Arlene Sachitano The Quilt Before the Storm
Harriet Truman / Loose Threads #5
Lauren Willig Betrayal of the Blood Lily
Pink Carnation #6
Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Bev Hankins Claude Izner
(Liliane Korb & Laurence Lefèvre)
Murder on the Eiffel Tower The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Deanie Agatha Christie And Then There Were None J. D. Robb
Divided in Death Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Donnisha Robert Galbraith
(J. K. Rowling)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Fanda Agatha Christie Death in the Clouds Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 JJA Robert Arthur Jr. The Secret of Terror Castle
Three Investigators #1
The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot
Three Investigators #2
The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy
Three Investigators #3
Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Jjean David Baldacci The Fallen A Minute to Midnight One Good Deed Michael Connelly Fair Warning Night Fire Stephen King Bag of Bones The Institute James Patterson Killer Instinct Cajun Justice Zoo Danielle Steel Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 OutsmartYourShelf Angela Marsons Lost Girls
DI Kim Stone #3
Linda Castillo Down A Dark Road
Kate Burkholder #9
Patricia Cornwell Postmortem
Kay Scarpetta #1
J. D. Robb
Imitation In Death Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Rick Mills Agatha Christie Death on the Nile By the Pricking of my Thumbs Philip R. Craig Death in Vineyard Waters #2 Vineyard Deceit #3 Death on a Vineyard Beach #7 Vineyard Enigma #13 Murder at a Vineyard Mansion #15 Erle Stanley Gardner This is Murder The Clue of the Forgotten Murder The Case of the Turning Tide
Gramps Wiggins #1
Martha Grimes The Man with a Load of Mischief
Richard Jury #1
The Old Fox Deceiv'd
Richard Jury #2
Kathleen Moore Knight The Trouble at Turkey Hill Death Came Dancing Bait for Murder Murder/Intrigue for Empire Ellery Queen
Frederic Dannay & Manfred Lee
The Dragon's Teeth Edgar Wallace Face in the Night Carolyn Wells The Clue The Maxwell Mystery Faulkner's Folly Anybody but Anne Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Sharon Angle-Boyer Thomas Harris Red Dragon Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 sk888888 Barry Eisler A Lonely Resurrection Winner Take All The Last Assassin Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 SueC Susan Wittig Albert Holly Blues Donna Andrews Duck the Halls The Good, the Bad, and the Emus The Nightingale before Christmas Lorna Barrett (Lorraine Bartlett) Title Wave C. J. Box Long Range Shots Fired: Stories from Joe Pickett Country Erle Stanley Gardner The D.A. Calls It Murder
Doug Selby #1
Laurie R. King Justice Hall
Mary Russell #6
Mary Russell #7
Mary Russell #8
Patrick McManus The Blight Way
Sheriff Bo Tully #1
Sheriff Bo Tully #2
The Double-Jack Murders
Sheriff Bo Tully #3
The Huckleberry Murders
Sheriff Bo Tully #4
The Tamarack Murders
Sheriff Bo Tully #5
Circles in the Snow
Sheriff Bo Tully #6
Anne Perry A Christmas Grace Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Tari Hann Avery Aames
(Daryl Wood Gerber)
Lost and Fondue A Sprinkling of Murder Ellery Adams The Book of Candlelight Peach Pies and Alibis Winnie Archer Kneaded to Death Cindy Bell The Sweet Smell of Murder Jennie Bentley Fatal Fixer-Upper Miranda Bliss Cooking Up Murder s Catherine Bruns Killer Transaction Kate Carlisle This Old Homicide Lyndsey Cole BlackBuried Pie Very Buried Cheesecake Gunpowder Chowder RaspBuried Torte PoisonBuried Punch Gunpowder Chowder Lyndsey Cole RaspBuried Torte Kathi Daley Gooseberry Christmas Joanna Fluke
Christmas Cupcake Murder Cherry Cheesecake Murder Carole Fowkes Plateful of Murder Lee Hollis
(Rick Copp & Holly Simason)
Poppy Harmon and the Hung Jury Death of a Blueberry Tart Death of a Chocoholic Death of a Wicked Witch Murder at the PTA Tonya Kappes
Gear, Grills & Guns Mary Kruger Death on the Cliff Walk Gayle Leeson The Calamity Café Target 1 2 3 4 5 6 Traci L. Ellery Adams Murder in the Storybook Cottage Winnie Archer Flour in the Attic Bree Baker Live and Let Chai Rhys Bowen
Her Royal Spyness Leslie Budewitz Death Al Dente Joseph Mark Brewer Tokyo Summer Lucy Burdette
An Appetite for Murder V. M. Burns The Plot is Murder Read Herring Hunt Novel Art of Murder Wed, Read & Dead Bookmarked for Murder Lynn Cahoon Who Moved my Goat Cheese Kate Carlisle The Grim Reader Laurie Cass Lending a Paw Vivien Chien Egg Drop Dead Laura Childs
Eggs on Ice Mumbo Gumbo Murder Parchment and Old Lace Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express Mary Higgins Clark Kiss the Girls and Make them Cry Every Breath you Take Leena Clover Gone With the Wings Nancy Coco
(Nancy J. Parra)
All Fudged Up Sheila Connolly Buried in a Bog Donna Amis Davis Danger at the Dive Shack Disquiet at the Dive Shack Duplicity at the Dive Shack Jessica Fletcher Aloha Betrayed The Murder of Twelve A Time for Murder Amanda Flower Toxic Toffee Crime and Poetry Joanna Fluke
Coconut Layer Cake Murder Sarah Fox Wine and Punishment An Ale of Two Cities Sally Goldenbaum Death by Cashmere J. M. Griffin Left Fur Dead Who's Dead, Doc? Sherry Harris Let's Fake a Deal Miranda James (Dean James) Bless Her Dead Little Heart Jennifer Joy Cabs, Cakes and Corpses Rum Raisin Revenge Tonya Kappes Beaches, Bungalows and Burglaries Libby Klein Class Reunions are Murder Midnight Snacks are Murder Restaurant Weeks are Murder C A Larmer Agatha Christie Book Club Ruby Loren The Florist and the funeral Jenn McKinlay Buried to the Brim Word to the Wise Hitting the Books Pumpkin Spice Peril One for the Books Alyssa Maxwell Murder at the Breakers Colleen Mooney Rescued by a Kiss Catie Murphy Dead in Dublin Sara Paretsky Shell Game Meredith Potts Chocolates with a side of murder Sara Rosett Death in the English Countryside Debra Sennefelder Three Widows and a Corpse Paige Shelton To Helvetica and Back Joanna Campbell Slan Kiki Lowenstein and the Purple Passion Denise Swanson Winner Cake All Ruth Ware
The Woman in Cabin 10 Ovidia Yu Aunty Lee's Delights
Key: pseudonym Target Shot! Notch! New Rolled over from 2020 Almost there! Notch your gun! Endangered
- Advance signup is no longer needed.
- Shoot (read) book #1
- Submit the form.
- Reload,repeat until you have read 6 books. Once you complete 6, you get a notch on your gun.
- Please note the Shooting Gallery does not update in real time. Your submission generates an email to The Grand Targetmeister, who will fill in the data.
- This is a rolling challenge. How does that work? At the end of the year, incomplete targets carry forward to the following year.
- The challenge runs from January 1 - December 24, 2021..
- Genres: You get to decide what is a 'mystery'. Traditional murder mysteries, thrillers, police procedurals, young adult, romances, all are welcome.
- Formats: Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, or e-books may be used.
- Each completed target earns you a notch on your gun.
- Once you have completed a target, you can target the same author again for additional notches.
- You can target different authors simultaneously or consecutively.
- Young folks are especially welcome too. Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew readers are naturals!
- Pseudonyms count as the same author, for example, if your target is Erle Stanley Gardner, you can count books by A. A. Fair.
- You do not need to write reviews, but you are welcome to. If you supply a link to your blog or Goodreads review, I will link to it.
- Bloggers are welcome to copy any images from this challenge.
- Never enter the secret passageway first.
- See the prize list for details.
- What about books that are a collaborative effort? The members of the Detection Club wrote a few novels where they (say from 5-7 members) wrote a couple of chapters each.I would suggest just calling the author "The Detection Club". We already treat dual authors as one anyway (Frances & Richard Lockridge, for example).
- Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for participating!
Need more challenges?