|The Mystillery||Medical Examiner's Challenge||Six Shooter Challenge||Bingo Challenge||Abra Cadavers||Century Club|
- Fall is in the air, and your Gracious Host and wife will be away camping between Sunday Sep 20 and Sunday Sep 27. This page will likely not get updated during that period, unless we get a rainy day and we are home grousing (although thankful for the rain). Please continue your submissions as usual, and the challenge will get caught up upon my return. Thank you.
- Read the latest news in Mystillery Newsletter #1!
- Welcome to the Medical Examiner's Mystery Reading Challenge! Please consider joining us! In this challenge, you only compete against yourself, so we welcome new Medical Examiners any time!
- Some closure dates for Mystillery challenges are approaching:
Morgue:Welcome to the Morgue. We currently have 14 overworked Medical Examiners on staff. You may refer to their autopsy notes by clicking on their clipboards below.
BUREAU of VITAL STATISTICS updated THU SEP 24 2020 @ 3 PM EDT
sorted by toe tags issued. highest stats highlighted in green.
Medical Examiner Toe Tags tied Books read TTPB* Autopsy notes Personal effects Jjean
327 78 4.19 sk888888
258 73 3.53 Bev Hankins
241 72 3.34 Tari Hann
228 121 1.88 Avid Series Reader
225 62 3.62 <-- books for you! Rick Mills
208 57 3.64 <-- books for you! Traci L.
185 72 2.56 Susan Jensen
110 27 4.07 Ahcop
99 29 3.41 Rretzler
93 24 3.87 Deanie
25 3 8.33 Kari Woods
18 4 4.50 Jane Reads
3 2 1.50 Nessa
2 1 2.00 Your pic! You could be here! 0 0 0.00 Morgue Totals 2022 toe tags 625 books read
vital statistics and autopsy notes updated on date indicated
challenger has moved up a row
highest stats per column
* TTPB = Toe Tags Per Book (average). This is a measure of how lethal your reading preferences are.
- You are the Medical Examiner, and your goal is to issue as many Toe Tags as you can during 2020, by reading murder mysteries and documenting the cause of death of the unfortunate victim(s).
- No advance signup needed.
- Read a murder mystery. Note the victim(s) and cause(s) of death.
- Submit one Death Certificate per book, identifying the Cause(s) of Death of the victim(s). Any death (accidental, natural causes, homicide, suicide) counts, as long as the person is significant enough to be named in the book.
- This page does not update in real time. Your submission generates an email to the Chief Medical Examiner, who will review the data and submit it to the Department of Vital Statistics.
- 2020 close: The 2020 challenge will close December 24, 2020 at midnight.
- Maintenance: Between Dec 25-31 2020, your host will be resetting the challenge for the next opening.
- 2021 open: The 2021 challenge will open January 1, 2021.
- Genres: You get to decide what is a 'mystery'. Traditional murder mysteries, thrillers, police procedurals, romances, all are welcome.
- Formats: Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, or e-books may be used.
- You get one Toe Tag per victim. What counts? If the person is significant enough to be given a name, and includes a cause of death you can cite, then it counts. For more details on what counts and what doesn't, see the FAQ page.
- Reviews: You do not need to write reviews, but you are welcome to. If you supply a link to your blog or Goodreads review, I will link to it.
- Bloggers are welcome to copy the toe tag image from the header (or any image that catches your fancy) for your blog.
- Toe Tags will be counted for prizes on or about Dec. 31 2020. A running tally is shown above. Top Ten Toe Taggers Treat Themselves To a (used but still with exciting words) book. See the prize list for details.
"Is that really a bullet hole in the back of his head?" I asked.
"The Medical Examiner will give us the official info on that," said Kate. "but it sure looks like one to me."
Philip R. Craig in Vineyard Enigma, 2002.