|The Mystillery||Medical Examiner's Challenge||Six Shooter Challenge||Bingo Challenge||Abra Cadavers||Century Club|
- Your Obedient Host will be away later this week, and this challenge page will likely not be updated between Thursday August 13 and Sunday August 16. Please continue your submissions as usual, and your Obedient Host will update the challenge upon his return.
- Some closure dates for Mystillery challenges are approaching:
- Welcome to the Medical Examiner's Mystery Reading Challenge! Please consider joining us! In this challenge, you only compete against yourself, so we welcome new Medical Examiners any time!
- Here's something fun. If you try to access a non-existent page on Goodreads, instead of an annoying generic "error 404 - page not found", you get a literary version adapted for the situation. There seems to be a whole bunch of them. Try this intentionally bad link to begin, then keep clicking the REFRESH button on your browser to cycle through some.
- I compose author bios, character lists, synopses, and reviews (no spoilers) for all mysteries (not just Golden Age) I enjoy. You can read them, comment, and follow at my blog, The Mystillery!
Morgue:Welcome to the Morgue. We currently have 14 overworked Medical Examiners on staff. You may refer to their autopsy notes by clicking on their clipboards below.
BUREAU of VITAL STATISTICS updated THU AUG 13 2020 @ 10 AM EDT
sorted by toe tags issued. highest stats highlighted in green.
Medical Examiner Toe Tags tied Books read TTPB* Autopsy notes Personal effects Jjean
286 68 4.20 sk888888
258 73 3.53 Tari Hann
202 109 1.85 Bev Hankins
199 58 3.43 Rick Mills
189 50 3.78 <-- books I have available Avid Series Reader
181 50 3.62 <-- books I have available Traci L.
129 57 2.26 Rretzler
93 24 3.87 Susan Jensen
86 18 4.77 Ahcop
84 25 3.36 Deanie
25 3 8.33 Kari Woods
18 4 4.50 Jane Reads
3 2 1.50 Nessa
2 1 2.00 Your pic! You could be here! 0 0 0.00 Morgue Totals 1755 toe tags 542 books read
vital statistics and autopsy notes updated on date indicated
challenger has moved up a row
highest stats per column
* TTPB = Toe Tags Per Book (average). This is a measure of how lethal your reading preferences are.
- You are the Medical Examiner, and your goal is to issue as many Toe Tags as you can during 2020, by reading murder mysteries and documenting the cause of death of the unfortunate victim(s).
- No advance signup needed.
- Read a murder mystery. Note the victim(s) and cause(s) of death.
- Submit one Death Certificate per book, identifying the Cause(s) of Death of the victim(s). Any death (accidental, natural causes, homicide, suicide) counts, as long as the person is significant enough to be named in the book.
- This page does not update in real time. Your submission generates an email to the Chief Medical Examiner, who will review the data and submit it to the Department of Vital Statistics.
- 2020 open: The 2020 challenge opened January 1, 2020.
- 2020 close: The 2020 challenge will close December 24, 2020 at midnight.
- Maintenance: Between Dec 25-31 2020, your host will be resetting the challenge for the next opening.
- 2021 open: The 2021 challenge will open January 1, 2021.
- Genres: You get to decide what is a 'mystery'. Traditional murder mysteries, thrillers, police procedurals, romances, all are welcome.
- Formats: Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, or e-books may be used.
- You get one Toe Tag per victim. What counts? If the person is significant enough to be given a name, and includes a cause of death you can cite, then it counts. For more details on what counts and what doesn't, see the FAQ page.
- Reviews: You do not need to write reviews, but you are welcome to. If you supply a link to your blog or Goodreads review, I will link to it.
- Bloggers are welcome to copy the toe tag image from the header (or any image that catches your fancy) for your blog.
- Toe Tags will be counted for prizes on or about Dec. 31 2020. A running tally is shown above. Top Ten Toe Taggers Treat Themselves To a (used but still with exciting words) book. See the prize list for details.
- 2020 Murder Mystery Bingo Reading Challenge
- 2020 Six Shooter Mystery Reading Challenge
- Bev Hankin's 2020 Reading Challenges
The Medical Examiner bent by the body, felt for a pulse, and said "She's dead, all right."
Erle Stanley Gardner in The D.A. Breaks an Egg, 1949.