Collier Front Page Mysteries by series
The Collier Front Page Mystery series (52 titles) was published in two uniform bindings over the years. These are all reprints, and do not have dust jackets.
These were sold by subscription, with five or six titles shipped simultaneously. Apparently each shipment comprised a series, with the series number noted on the title page. One series appeared on eBay recently, here are the two photos supplied by the seller:
- Binding 1 (33 titles): A red binding with a man inside a spiderweb embossed on the front cover, ran from the 1920's to 1931.
- There was a hiatus from 1932-1941.
- Binding 2 (19 titles): A black binding with various weapons embossed on the cover, ran from 1942-1947.
The following list is likely incomplete. If you are aware of additional titles, please let me know.
1st seriesThe first series was not marked as such. Series numbers appeared beginning with the second series.
- Wells, Carolyn Deep Lake Mystery 1928
- Berkeley, Anthony The Silk Stocking Murders , 1929
- Buck, Neville Marked Men 1929
- Campbell, Alice Juggernaut 1929
- Footner, Hulbert The Under Dogs 1929
- Hart, Frances Noyes The Bellamy Trial 1929
- Rinehart, Mary Roberts The Man in Lower Ten 1929
- Christie, Agatha The Seven Dials Mystery, 1929
- Dutton, Charles Streaked with Crimson 1929
- Ferguson, John The Man in the Dark, 1928
- Fletcher, J. S. The Diamond Murders, 1929
- Freeman, R. Austin The Eye of Osiris 1911 shown as copyright date, printing date likely 1929
- Gluck, Sinclair The Shadow in the House, 1929
- Morris, W. F. "G.B." 1929
- Packard, Frank The Adventures of Jimmy Dale 1929
- Packard, Frank The Big Shot 1929
- Rhode, John The Murder at Bratton Grange 1929
- Wallace, Edgar The Girl from Scotland Yard 1929
- Brock, Lynn Murder on the Bridge 1930
- Carr, John Dickson It Walks by Night 1930
- Carr, John Dickson The Lost Gallows 1931
- Dalton, Moray The Body in the Road 1930
- Footner, Hulbert The Mystery of the Folded Paper 1930
- Hughes, Rupert The Ladies' Man 1930
- Martin, Stuart The Trial of Scotland Yard 1930
- Plum, Mary The Killing of Judge MacFarlane 1930
- Propper, Milton The Boudoir Murder 1931
- Propper, Milton The Ticker-Tape Murders 1930
- Clevely, Hugh Call the Yard! 1931
- King, Rufus Murder in the Willett Family 1931
- Loban, Ethyl The Calloused Eye 1931
- MacDonald, Philip The Crime Conductor 1931
- Holden, Raymond The Penthouse Murders 1931
There was a hiatus between 1932-1941.
5th seriesThis series begins the black binding, with weapons embossed on front cover
- Gardner, Erle Stanley Case of the Drowning Duck 1942
- Irish, William Phantom Lady 1942
- Lockridge, Frances & Richard Death on the Aisle 1942
- Stout, Rex Black Orchids 1942
- Walling, R.A.J. The Corpse with the Eerie Eye 1942
- Ford, Leslie Murder in the OPM 1942
- Ford, Leslie Siren in the Night 1943
- Walling, R.A.J. A Corpse by Any Other Name 1943
- Eberhart, Mignon Wings of Fear 1946
- Hughes, Dorothy The Delicate Ape 1944
- Lockridge, Frances & Richard Killing the Goose 1944
- McCloy, Helen The Goblin Market 1943
- Reilly, Helen Murder on Angler's Island 1945
- Hughes, Dorothy Ride the Pink Horse 1946
- Lockridge, Frances & Richard Murder Within Murder 1946
- Saunders, Clare Design for Treachery 1947
- Starrett, Vincent Murder in Peking 1946
- Treat, Lawrence H as in Hunted 1946
- Blau, Ernest Queen's Falcon 1947 likely the final title?