- Welcome to the Century Club Mystery Reading Challenge! This is an ongoing (not an annual) reading challenge. No advance signup needed.
- Your goal is to become acquainted with mystery stories across the last century, by reading one from each of the ten previous decades, comprising 1920-2019. Reading one from each decade (ten total) earns you membership in our refined, elegant Mystillery Century Club; where the conversation, like the champagne, is sparkling.
- Welcome to the table Simone C. of Alabama! Simone drops in with three decades in the books!
- Welcome to the table Tina Hilbert of Salt Lake City! Tina dives right in with six decades in the books!
- As this is an ongoing challenge, it requires some housekeeping to keep it from becoming a cluttered mess. Therefore an expiration date has been added to all partial applications.
- If you have completed the challenge (all ten decades), rest easy, your membership never expires.
- If you have partially completed the challenge, your application will expire after one year with no activity. Each time you make a submission, your expiration date gets pushed out one year.
- If you have no submissions, your application will expire after six months with no activity.
- Here is Mystillery Newsletter #7, March 2021
MYSTILLERY CENTURY CLUB MEMBERS as of TUE MAR 23 2021 Member Member # 1920's 1930's 1940's 1950's 1960's 1970's 1980's 1990's 2000's 2010's Award Bev Hankins
1 Rick Mills
2 Avid Series Reader
MYSTILLERY CENTURY CLUB APPLICANTS as of TUE MAR 23 2021 Applicant Last activity Expiration* 1920's 1930's 1940's 1950's 1960's 1970's 1980's 1990's 2000's 2010's Simone C.
blog Mar 23 2021 Mar 23 2022 Tina Hilbert
Mar 21 2021 Mar 21 2022 C0NTENTH0MEB0DY
Feb 10 2021 Feb 10 2022 Sanacrow
Feb 2 2021 Feb 2 2022 Brandi
Jan 11 2021 Jan 11 2022 SueC
Dec 30 2020 Dec 30 2021 Candy Bowe
Dec 28 2020 June 28 2021 Deanie
Dec 19 2020 Dec 19 2021 Ray
Dec 16 2020 June 16 2021 Krista Kirby
Dec 11 2020 June 11 2021 Niffer
Dec 7 2020 June 7 2021 Firsttimechallenge
Dec 6 2020 June 6 2021 Kirsten Porter
Dec 3 2020 June 3 2021 Traci L
Nov 28 2020 Nov 28 2021 Ahcop
Nov 26 2020 Nov 26 2021 Sharon Angle-Boyer
Nov 15 2020 May 15 2021 Megotducktape
Nov 10 2020 May 10 2021 Simone C
Nov 10 2020 May 10 2021
Key: Moved up New / updated
* Expiration date is extended by one year at each submission. See rules below.
Submissions by members:Member #1, Bev Hankins 20s The Crimson Circle by Edgar Wallace, 1922 30s Red Warning by Virgil Markham, 1933 40s The Dead Shall Be Raised by George Bellairs, 1942 50s Stand Up & Die by Frances & Richard Lockridge, 1953 60s The Stately Home Murder by Catherine Aird. 1969 70s Table D'Hote by Douglas Clark, 1977 80s Lament for a Lady Laird by Margot Arnold, 1982 90s River of Darkness by Rennie Airth, 1999 00s The Hellfire Conspiracy by Will Thomas, 2007 10s Murder at Midnight by C. S. Challinor, 2014 Member #2, Rick Mills 20s The Broadway Murders by Edward Doherty, 1929 30s Death in the Air by Agatha Christie, 1935 40s Deep Lay the Dead by Frederick C. Davis, 1942 50s A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie, 1950 60s Kept Women Can't Quit by Erle Stanley Gardner, 1960 70s El Rancho Rio by Mignon Eberhart, 1970 80s Three Days for Emeralds by Mignon Eberhart, 1988 90s The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva, 1995 00s Vineyard Enigma by Philip R. Craig, 2002 10s The Forgotten Room by Lincoln Child, 2015 Member #3, Avid Series Reader 20s The Canary Murder Case by S.S. Van Dine, 1927 30s The Attic Murder by S. Fowler Wright, 1936 40s The Horizontal Man by Helen Eustis, 1946 50s Death in Berlin by M.M. Kaye, 1955 60s The Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonald, 1964 70s Death of a Hawker by Janwillem van de Wetering, 1977 80s Lonely Hearts by John Harvey, 1989 90s Witch Hunt by Jack Harvey (Ian Rankin), 1993 00s Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger, 2009 10s Tangerine by Christine Mangan, 2018
Submissions by applicants:Ahcop 20s The Golden Beast by E. Phillips Oppenheim, 1926 30s Death by Request by Katherine and Romilly John, 1933 40s Relative to Poison by E.C.R. Lorac, 1947 50s Sleep Long, My Love by Hillary Waugh, 1959 60s ...and presumed dead by Lucille Fletcher, 1963 70s A Rooted Sorrow by P. M. Hubbard, 1973 80s 90s 00s 10s Brandi 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, 2018 C0NTENTH0MEB0DY 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s The Killing Floor by Lee Child, 1998 00s 1st to Die by James Patterson, 2005 10s Love Me to Death by Allison Brennan, 2010 Deanie 20s 30s Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie, 1930 40s The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie, 1942 50s A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie, 1950 60s The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side by Agatha Christie, 1962 70s 80s A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton, 1982 90s Holiday in Death by J. D. Robb, 1997 00s The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen, 2008 10s Hark the Herald Angels Slay by Vicki Delaney, 2017 Sanacrow 20s 30s Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie, 1930 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s Simone C. 20s 30s 40s Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie, 1941 50s 60s 70s 80s Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, 1981 90s 00s 10s A Gift of Bones by Carolyn Haines, 2018 SueC 20s 30s Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, 1938 40s 50s 60s The Turquoise Mask by Phyllis A. Whitney, 1964 70s The Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman, 1970 80s 90s 00s Spanish Dagger by Susan Wittig Albert, 2007 10s Duck the Halls by Donna Andrews, 2013 Tina Hilbert 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, 1960 70s Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews, 1978 80s Return to Red Castle by Dorothy M. Keddington, 1981 90s Seven for a Secret by Victoria Holt, 1993 00s The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce #1) by Alan Bradley, 2009 10s Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, 2018 Traci L 20s 30s Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, 1934 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s Parchment and Old Lace by Laura Childs, 2015
- No advance signup needed.
- Once you have read each book, submit the Century Club Submission to the Membership Secretary.
- This is an ongoing - not annual - challenge. However, applicants are encouraged to submit at least one book every six months.
- No advance signup needed. Just submit your first book(s) to begin.
- Full members (all ten decades) never expire.
- Applicants: Your expiration date is extended by one year at each submission. If there is no activity for a period of one year, the application will be considered abandoned and expired.
- Empty applications: If there are no submissions at all after six months, empty applications will be expired. These are from the advance signup form which is no longer used.
- For our purposes, use the year the book was written, not necessarily the year it was published. If in doubt, just use the earliest date on the book's title page.
- Books may be read in any order.
- Past reading may be submitted. Check your shelves! That book you had to read in fourth grade? It counts!
- Authors can be enjoyed multiple times.
- Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, short stories, or e-books may be used. Movies do not count.
- Reviews are optional. If you include the URL of your review, a link to it will be provided. Otherwise, a link will be provided to generic information about the title.
- Once you achieve full membership (all ten decades), you may modestly post the Mystillery Century Club logo on your blog.
- What happens if we read another book from the same decade? - Only one book per decade is required, so additional books from the same decade do not help. RM
- Can the concierge help get a spot of the soup off my tie? - Yes.
- Questions? Email me at email@example.com. Thank you for participating!
Need more challenges?