Welcome to the Century Club Mystery Reading Challenge at Mystillery Manor! This is an ongoing (not an annual) reading challenge. No advance signup needed. Your goal is to become acquainted with mystery stories across the last century, by reading one from each of the ten previous decades, comprising 1920-2019. Reading one from each decade (ten total) earns you membership as a Centurion in our refined, elegant Mystillery Century Club; where the conversation, like the champagne, is sparkling.
MYSTILLERY CENTURY CLUB CENTURIONS as of WED OCT 20 2021 - in order of admission Centurion Member # 1920's 1930's 1940's 1950's 1960's 1970's 1980's 1990's 2000's 2010's Award Bev Hankins
1 Rick Mills
2 Avid Series Reader
MYSTILLERY CENTURY CLUB APPLICANTS as of WED OCT 20 2021 - sorted by last activity Applicant Last activity Expiration* 1920's 1930's 1940's 1950's 1960's 1970's 1980's 1990's 2000's 2010's Simone C.
Aug 15 2021 Aug 15 2022 SueC
May 14 2021 May 14 2022 Tina Hilbert
Mar 21 2021 Mar 21 2022 Brandi
Jan 11 2021 Jan 11 2022 Deanie
Dec 19 2020 Dec 19 2021 Traci L
Nov 28 2020 Nov 28 2021 Ahcop
Nov 26 2020 Nov 26 2021
* Expiration date is extended by one year at each submission. See rules below.
Key to symbols (various book icons) Decade completed Moved up New or updated today Tracker page Blog Goodreads profile Paperback Swap bookshelf
Submissions by Centurions:Bev Hankins, Centurion #1 20s The Crimson Circle by Edgar Wallace, 1922 30s Red Warning by Virgil Markham, 1933 40s The Dead Shall Be Raised by George Bellairs, 1942 50s Stand Up & Die by Frances & Richard Lockridge, 1953 60s The Stately Home Murder by Catherine Aird. 1969 70s Table D'Hote by Douglas Clark, 1977 80s Lament for a Lady Laird by Margot Arnold, 1982 90s River of Darkness by Rennie Airth, 1999 00s The Hellfire Conspiracy by Will Thomas, 2007 10s Murder at Midnight by C. S. Challinor, 2014 Rick Mills, Centurion #2 20s The Broadway Murders by Edward Doherty, 1929 30s Death in the Air by Agatha Christie, 1935 40s Deep Lay the Dead by Frederick C. Davis, 1942 50s A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie, 1950 60s Kept Women Can't Quit by Erle Stanley Gardner, 1960 70s El Rancho Rio by Mignon Eberhart, 1970 80s Three Days for Emeralds by Mignon Eberhart, 1988 90s The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva, 1995 00s Vineyard Enigma by Philip R. Craig, 2002 10s The Forgotten Room by Lincoln Child, 2015 Avid Series Reader, Centurion #3 20s The Canary Murder Case by S.S. Van Dine, 1927 30s The Attic Murder by S. Fowler Wright, 1936 40s The Horizontal Man by Helen Eustis, 1946 50s Death in Berlin by M.M. Kaye, 1955 60s The Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonald, 1964 70s Death of a Hawker by Janwillem van de Wetering, 1977 80s Lonely Hearts by John Harvey, 1989 90s Witch Hunt by Jack Harvey (Ian Rankin), 1993 00s Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger, 2009 10s Tangerine by Christine Mangan, 2018 Jjean, Centurion #4 20s The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4), 1926 30s Death In The Clouds by Agatha Christie, 1935 40s The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3), 1942 50s Fallen Into The Pit by Ellis Peters, 1951 60s Under The Snow by Kerstin Ekman, Joan Tate, 1961 70s Nemesis by Agatha Christie, 1971 80s Careless Whispers by Carlton Stowers, 1986 90s Bag of Bones by Stephen King, 1998 00s Hide by Lisa Gardner, 2007 10s Collateral Damage by Hannah Alexander, 2014 Sanacrow, Centurion #5 20s Whose Body? by Dorothy Sayers, 1923 30s Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie, 1930 40s I, the Jury by Mickey Spillane, 1947 50s Room to Swing by Ed Lacy, 1957 60s My Brother Michael by Mary Stewart, 1960 70s Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark, 1975 80s Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith, 1981 90s Naked in Death by J. D. Robb (Nora Roberts), 1995 00s All the Pretty Girls by JT Ellison, 2007 10s Blackout by Mira Grant, 2012 C0NTENTH0MEB0DY, Centurion #6 20s The Man of the Forest by Zane Grey, 1920 30s Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, 1936 40s The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1943 50s Black Beauty by Anna Sewell, 1954 60s In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, 1965 70s Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi, 1974 80s Rules of Prey by John Sandford, 1989 90s The Killing Floor by Lee Child, 1998 00s 1st to Die by James Patterson, 2005 10s Love Me to Death by Allison Brennan, 2010
Submissions by applicants:Ahcop 20s The Golden Beast by E. Phillips Oppenheim, 1926 30s Death by Request by Katherine and Romilly John, 1933 40s Relative to Poison by E.C.R. Lorac, 1947 50s Sleep Long, My Love by Hillary Waugh, 1959 60s ...and presumed dead by Lucille Fletcher, 1963 70s A Rooted Sorrow by P. M. Hubbard, 1973 80s 90s 00s 10s Brandi 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, 2018 Deanie 20s 30s Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie, 1930 40s The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie, 1942 50s A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie, 1950 60s The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side by Agatha Christie, 1962 70s 80s A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton, 1982 90s Holiday in Death by J. D. Robb, 1997 00s The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen, 2008 10s Hark the Herald Angels Slay by Vicki Delaney, 2017 Simone C. 20s The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie, 1926 30s Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie, 1937 40s Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie, 1941 50s 60s 70s Fletch by Gregory McDonald, 1974 80s Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, 1981 90s 00s 10s A Gift of Bones by Carolyn Haines, 2018 SueC 20s The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie, 1920 30s Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, 1938 40s The Secret of the Mansion by Julie Campbell, 1948 50s 60s The Turquoise Mask by Phyllis A. Whitney, 1964 70s The Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman, 1970 80s The Curse of the Pharoahs (Amelia Peabody #2) by Elizabeth Peters, 1981 90s The Face of a Stranger (William Monk #1) by Anne Perry, 1990 00s Spanish Dagger by Susan Wittig Albert, 2007 10s Duck the Halls by Donna Andrews, 2013 Tina Hilbert 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, 1960 70s Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews, 1978 80s Return to Red Castle by Dorothy M. Keddington, 1981 90s Seven for a Secret by Victoria Holt, 1993 00s The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce #1) by Alan Bradley, 2009 10s Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, 2018 Traci L 20s 30s Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, 1934 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s Parchment and Old Lace by Laura Childs, 2015
- No advance signup needed.
- Here is an easy way to sort your Goodreads books by publication year, making it easy to identify books you have already read that qualify for this challenge! Read How to sort your Goodreads books by publication date.
- Once you have read each book, submit the Century Club Submission to the Membership Secretary.
- This is an ongoing - not annual - challenge. However, applicants are encouraged to submit at least one book every six months.
- No advance signup needed. Just submit your first book(s) to begin.
- Centurions (all ten decades) never expire, they are immortal.
- Applicants: Your expiration date is extended by one year at each submission. If there is no activity for a period of one year, the application will be considered abandoned and expired.
- For our purposes, use the year the book was written, not necessarily the year it was published. If in doubt, just use the earliest date on the book's title page.
- Books may be read in any order.
- Past reading may be submitted. Check your shelves! That book you had to read in fourth grade? It counts!
- Authors can be enjoyed multiple times.
- Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, short stories, or e-books may be used. Movies do not count.
- Reviews are optional. If you include the URL of your review, a link to it will be provided.
- Once you achieve Centurionship (all ten decades), you may modestly post the Mystillery Century Club logo on your blog, your Bentley, Tesla, Rolls, or equivalent.
- What happens if we read another book from the same decade? - Only one book per decade is required, so additional books from the same decade do not help. RM
- Can the concierge help get a spot of the soup off my tie? - Yes.
- Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for participating!
Need more challenges?