- Welcome to the 2021 Beachcomber Mystery Reading Challenge! No advance signup needed. Just grab some beach bags and dig in.
- Your goal is to become a Beachcomber by completing the set of four beach bags as you read mysteries! (Some people go more, but the goal is one set of four).
- Welcome to Erika of California, as she jumps in by filling two beach bags!
- Here is Mystillery Newsletter #7, March 2021
Welcome to the beach!
CABANAS as of WED MAR 3 2021 @ 5 PM EST convert
sorted by beach bag total, then alphabetical
31 8 8 8 7 Avid Series Reader
22 5 6 6 5 <-- books for you! SueC
6 3 Kim Prytherch
2 Sharon Angle-Boyer
2 Bev Hankins
2 Rick Mills
2 <-- books for you! C0NTENTH0MEB0DY
1 Cabana available.
You could be here.
Key: Moved up New / updated Goal complete!
beach bags are linked to your blog/web tracking page, if provided.
- Advance signup is no longer needed.
- Obtain a set of four Beachcomber beach bags. Here are some options:
- Largest print! Each beach bag is a separate web page.
- Printer friendly! Here are all four on one sheet of paper, easy to print, fold up, and tuck in your book:
- Mobile device friendly! Here are individual beach bags as .jpg images:
- Plain text! Easy to copy/paste onto a blog tracking page.
- Refer to the beach bags as you read. Mark the items on the beach bags as you find them in your books.
- For Detectives, find a letter which occurs in the detective's name.
- Titles do not count. For example, "Inspector Closeau" would count for A, but not for T.
- You can use anyone who has the detective role in the story, it need not be an 'official' detective.
- You may find more than one detective per book, but use each one only once, however...
- You can reuse a detective by reading additional books - for example, if you read two Nero Wolfe books, you can use Nero Wolfe for both F and O.
- For Victims, find a letter which occurs in the victim's name. Victims must be dead. You may find more than one per book, but use each one only once.
- WILD CARDS! You are allowed four WILD CARDS total. These are freebies to replace those last hard-to-find items. Just cross out that item and write in "Wild Card". You can use them on any beach bag, even all four on one beach bag if that is needed.
- Submit the Beachcomber Form as you fill each beach bag. This is on the honor system, you need not list nor document your books, nor submit the beach bags themselves.
- You will get a cabana on the beach upon filling your first beach bag.
- Challenge is open now, ends Dec 24 2021.
- Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, short stories, or e-books may be used.
- Beach bags may be filled in any order.
- You can work multiple beach bags simultaneously.
- Bloggers are welcome to any images for your blog.
- At the close of the challenge, ten participants, chosen at random from those who have filled four beach bags, will receive a beach-related prize.
- Prizes awarded from Beachcomber, Medical Examiner, and Six Shooter will be mutually exclusive - that is, you can't win a prize from more than one challenge.
- I'm unclear on how this works. It looks like bingo. Do we do the whole card or just 5 in a row? The goal is to fill all 4 cards (beach bags) completely. I know it looks like bingo, that is because this challenge is a mutation of last year's Murder Mystery Bingo challenge which is no longer offered.
- Can I repeat the Beachcomber? Yes, once you complete a set of four beach bags, you can begin another set.
- Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for participating!
Need more challenges?