- Welcome to the 2021 Beachcomber Mystery Reading Challenge! Your goal is to become a Beachcomber by filling the set of four beach bags (25 items per bag, 100 items total) as you read mysteries! No advance signup needed. Just grab some beach bags and dig in.
- Congrats to Sanacrow of Tennessee for filling all beach bags and completing the challenge!
- Here is Mystillery Newsletter #10 for June.
- Please visit and follow The Mystillery Blog!
Welcome to the beach!
CABANAS as of FRI JUN 4 2021 @ 6.30 pm EDT convert
sorted by beach bag total, then alphabetical
Flotsam & Jetsam Jjean
Avid Series Reader
Key to symbols Moved up New or updated today Challenge complete Tracker page Blog Goodreads profile Paperback Swap bookshelf
- Advance signup is no longer needed.
- Obtain a set of four Beachcomber beach bags. Here are some options:
- Largest print! Each beach bag is a separate web page.
- Printer friendly! Here are all four on one sheet of paper, easy to print, fold up, and tuck in your book:
- Mobile device friendly! Here are individual beach bags as .jpg images:
- Plain text! Easy to copy/paste onto a blog tracking page.
- Refer to the beach bags as you read. Mark the items on the beach bags as you find them in your books.
- For Detectives, find a letter which occurs in the detective's name.
- Titles do not count. For example, "Inspector Closeau" would count for A, but not for T.
- You can use anyone who has the detective role in the story, it need not be an 'official' detective.
- You may find more than one detective per book, but use each one only once, however...
- You can reuse a detective by reading additional books - for example, if you read two Nero Wolfe books, you can use Nero Wolfe for both F and O.
- For Victims, find a letter which occurs in the victim's name. Victims must be dead. You may find more than one per book, but use each one only once.
- WILD CARDS! You are allowed four WILD CARDS total. These are freebies to replace those last hard-to-find items. Just cross out that item and write in "Wild Card". You can use them on any beach bag, even all four on one beach bag if that is needed.
- Submit the Beachcomber Form as you fill each beach bag. This is on the honor system, you need not list nor document your books, nor submit the beach bags themselves.
- You will get a cabana on the beach upon filling your first beach bag.
- Challenge is open now, ends Dec 24 2021.
- Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, short stories, or e-books may be used.
- Beach bags may be filled in any order.
- You can work the beach bags simultaneously.
- Bloggers are welcome to any images for your blog.
- At the close of the challenge, ten participants, chosen at random from those who have filled four beach bags, will receive a beach-related prize.
- Prizes awarded from Beachcomber, Medical Examiner, and Six Shooter will be mutually exclusive - that is, you can't win a prize from more than one challenge.
- I'm unclear on how this works. It looks like bingo. Do we do the whole card or just 5 in a row? The goal is to fill all 4 cards (beach bags) completely. That's 100 items. I know it looks like bingo, that is because this challenge is a mutation of last year's Murder Mystery Bingo challenge which is no longer offered.
- Can I repeat the Beachcomber? Yes, once you complete a set of four beach bags, you can begin another set.
- Questions? Email me at email@example.com. Thank you for participating!
Need more challenges?