|2019 Six Shooter Mystery Reading Challenge|
- As an optional enhancement to the challenge, you may contribute the first line of the mystery being submitted. The lines are compiled haphazardly into a bewildering mystery story, The Missing Challenge Reader Case.
- Shoot (read) six mysteries by the same target (author) during 2019. You can compare your shooting progress with others in the challenge in the Shooting Gallery (below) as you go along.
- No advance signup needed.
- Safety glasses and hearing protection are required.
- Shoot (read) book #1
- Submit the form. You will get a line in the Shooting Gallery upon your first shot.
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat until you have read 6 books.
- Please note the Shooting Gallery does not update in real time. This is a surprisingly low-tech operation. Your submission generates an email to The Grand Targetmeister, who will scratch his head, drink some beer, and fill in the data. He tries to do this once a day.
- The challenge is open for business! Challenge runs Jan 1 - Dec 31 2019. Plenty of time to jump in!
- You get to define what is a "mystery".
- Print books, audio books, or e-books may be used.
- Once you have completed a target, you can target the same author again for additional reads.
- You can target different authors simultaneously or consecutively.
- Young folks are especially welcome too. Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew readers are naturals!
- Pseudonyms count as the same author, for example, if you are reading Erle Stanley Gardner, you can count books by A. A. Fair.
- You do not need to write reviews, but you are welcome to. If you supply a link to your blog or Goodreads review, I will link to it. If you do not blog, you can just type your review in the box on the form.
- Bloggers are welcome to copy the target image from the header for your blog.
- Cross-entries from other challenges are encouraged.
- Never enter the secret passageway first.
- Each completed line in the Shooting Gallery gives you a prize. See the prize list for details.
Shooting gallery:The Shooting Gallery was last swept up of spent bullets on WED MAY 22 @ 11 AM EDT
Book titles link to reviews, if provided.
We currently have
Plenty of room remaining! Grab a gun and have at it!
- 7 shooters in the gallery.
- 4 shooters have completed at least one target.
- 7 targets completed.
- 17 targets partially completed.
Color key: One shot to go! Empty gun!
Shooter Target (links to bio) Shot 1 (links to review) Shot 2 Shot 3 Shot 4 Shot 5 Shot 6 Ahcop
The Norwich Victims The League of Discontent The Black Arrows Death in Four Letters No Fury Take it Crooked Ahcop
Anthony Gilbert Out For the Kill A Question of Murder Ahcop
Victor Bridges Dusky Night The Happy Murderers It Happened in Essex Bev Hankins
Ngaio Marsh Died in the Wool Final Curtain A Wreath for Rivera Opening Night Spinsters in Jeopardy Bev Hankins
Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles The Secret Adversary Murder on the LInks The Man in the Brown Suit Bev Hankins
Dorothy L. Sayers Clouds of Witness Whose Body? Lord Peter Views the Body Murder Must Advertise Strong Poison Lynn
John Dunning Booked To Die
See Review #2
The Bookman's Wake
See Review #5
The Bookman's Promise The Sign of the Book The Bookwoman's Last Fling
See Review #7
John Dickson Carr (Carter Dickson) The Lost Gallows Rick Mills
Agatha Christie And Then There Were None Rick Mills
Mignon Eberhart Speak No Evil Rick Mills
A. A. Fair
(Erle Stanley Gardner)
Give Em the Ax Kept Women Can't Quit Case of the Negligent Nymph Bedrooms Have Windows Rick Mills
Kathleen Moore Knight Footbridge to Death The Tainted Token Stream Sinister The Wheel That Turned Birds of Ill Omen Death Blew Out The Match Rick Mills
Ellery Queen The Perfect Crime The Origin of Evil The House of Brass The Roman Hat Mystery Rick Mills
Mary Roberts Rinehart The Window at the White Cat Rick Mills
Rex Stout And Be a Villain Where There's a Will Might As Well Be Dead Too Many Clients Trouble in Triplicate Rick Mills
Carolyn Wells Deep Lake Mystery The Come Back In The Onyx Lobby Vicky Van Feathers Left Around Face Cards Rick Mills
Valentine Williams The Fox Prowls sk888888
Owen Laukkanen The Professionals
See Review #1
Criminal Enterprise Kill Fee The Stolen Ones The Watcher In The Wall The Forgotten Girls Stephanie W.
J. D. Robb
Naked in Death Immortal in Death Rapture in Death Vengeance in Death Holiday In Death Conspiracy in Death Stephanie W.
J. D. Robb
Loyalty In Death Judgment In Death Betrayal In Death Midnight In Death Interlude In Death Seduction In Death Stephanie W.
J. D. Robb
Reunion In Death Portrait In Death Imitation In Death Purity In Death Remember When Divided In Death Stephanie W.
J. D. Robb
Visions In Death Survivor In Death Origin In Death Tari Hann
aka Maymee Bell
Batter Off Dead A Charming Cure Decaffeinated Scandal Forests, Fishing and Forgery Fixin' to Die Tari Hann
Ellery Adams The Whispered Word A Killer Plot
- Suppose we are unable to complete the challenge for an author by December? At the end of the challenge (December 2019), the challenge will roll over for 2020. Completed targets will be removed. Any uncompleted targets will be carried over to the 2020 challenge (since the purpose of the challenge is to encourage reading them in the first place). So you should feel free to open up new targets, even late in the year.
- Why do they bother sterilizing lethal injections?
- Questions? Email me at email@example.com. Thank you for participating!
Want more challenges?