|2019 Six Shooter Mystery Reading Challenge|
- Welcome to our newest shooter, Stephanie W, who became our first winner as she shot out her target, J. D. Robb - twice! That's 12 hits, no misses.
- As an optional enhancement to the challenge, you may contribute the first line of the mystery being submitted. The lines are compiled haphazardly into a bewildering mystery story, The Missing Challenge Reader Case.
- Shoot (read) six mysteries by the same target (author) during 2019. You can compare your shooting progress with others in the challenge in the Shooting Gallery (below) as you go along.
- No advance signup needed.
- Safety glasses and hearing protection are required.
- Shoot (read) book #1
- Submit the form. You will get a line in the Shooting Gallery upon your first shot.
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat until you have read 6 books.
- Please note the Shooting Gallery does not update in real time. This is a surprisingly low-tech operation. Your submission generates an email to The Grand Targetmeister, who will scratch his head, drink some beer, and fill in the data. He tries to do this once a day.
- The challenge is open for business! Challenge runs Jan 1 - Dec 31 2019. Plenty of time to jump in!
- You get to define what is a "mystery".
- Print books, audio books, or e-books may be used.
- Once you have completed a target, you can target the same author again for additional reads.
- You can target different authors simultaneously or consecutively.
- Young folks are especially welcome too. Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew readers are naturals!
- Pseudonyms count as the same author, for example, if you are reading Erle Stanley Gardner, you can count books by A. A. Fair.
- You do not need to write reviews, but you are welcome to. If you supply a link to your blog or Goodreads review, I will link to it. If you do not blog, you can just type your review in the box on the form.
- Bloggers are welcome to copy the target image from the header for your blog.
- Cross-entries from other challenges are encouraged.
- Never enter the secret passageway first.
- Each completed line in the Shooting Gallery gives you a prize. See the prize list for details.
Shooting gallery:The Shooting Gallery was last swept up of spent bullets on WED MAR 20 @ 3PM EST
Book titles link to reviews, if provided.
We currently have 7 shooters in the gallery. Plenty of room remaining! Grab a gun and have at it!
Shooter Target (links to bio) Shot 1 (links to review) Shot 2 Shot 3 Shot 4 Shot 5 Shot 6 Ahcop
The Norwich Victims The League of Discontent Ahcop
Anthony Gilbert Out For the Kill A Question of Murder Ahcop
Victor Bridges Dusky Night The Happy Murderers Bev Hankins
Ngaio Marsh Died in the Wool Final Curtain A Wreath for Rivera Bev Hankins
Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles The Secret Adversary Murder on the LInks Lynn
John Dunning Booked To Die
See Review #2
The Bookman's Wake
See Review #5
The Bookman's Promise Rick Mills
A. A. Fair
(Erle Stanley Gardner)
Give Em the Ax Kept Women Can't Quit Rick Mills
Carolyn Wells Deep Lake Mystery The Come Back In The Onyx Lobby Vicky Van Rick Mills
Ellery Queen The Perfect Crime The Origin of Evil The House of Brass The Roman Hat Mystery Rick Mills
Kathleen Moore Knight Footbridge to Death The Tainted Token Stream Sinister Rick Mills
Rex Stout And Be a Villain Where There's a Will Might As Well Be Dead Rick Mills
Mary Roberts Rinehart The Window at the White Cat Rick Mills
Mignon Eberhart Speak No Evil sk888888
Owen Laukkanen The Professionals
See Review #1
Criminal Enterprise Kill Fee Stephanie W.
J. D. Robb
Naked in Death Immortal in Death Rapture in Death Vengeance in Death Holiday In Death Conspiracy in Death Stephanie W.
J. D. Robb
Loyalty In Death Judgment In Death Betrayal In Death Midnight In Death Interlude In Death Seduction In Death Stephanie W.
J. D. Robb
Reunion In Death Tari Hann
aka Maymee Bell
Batter Off Dead A Charming Cure Decaffeinated Scandal Forests, Fishing and Forgery Tari Hann
Ellery Adams The Whispered Word A Killer Plot
- Suppose we are unable to complete the challenge for an author? At the end of the challenge (December 2019), any uncompleted authors may be carried over to the 2020 challenge, since the purpose of the challenge is to encourage reading them in the first place.
- How deep would the ocean be if there were no sponges in it? Sorry, we do not have an answer for this one.
- Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for participating!
Want more challenges?