Welcome to the 2022 Beachcomber Mystery Reading Challenge! Your goal is to become a Beachcomber by filling the set of four beach bags (23 items per bag, 92 items total) as you read mysteries! No advance signup needed. Just grab some beach bags and dig in! This has been simplified since 2021 - all four beach bags now use the find-the-letter-of-the-alphabet system. Tina Hilbert (Utah) arrives at the beach to fill two beach bags, Detectives and Victims! Check out her tracking page to see how it's done! Avid Series Reader (New Mexico) runs onto the beach to stuff all four beach bags as soon as the lifeguards opened the beach! Check out her tracking page to see how it's done!
Welcome to the beach!
CABANAS as of THU JAN 20 2022 @ 2.00 pm EDT convert
sorted by beach bag total, then alphabetical
Flotsam & Jetsam Avid Series Reader
Key to symbols Moved up New or updated today Challenge complete Tracker page Blog Goodreads profile Paperback Swap bookshelf
- Advance signup is not needed.
- Obtain a set of four Beachcomber beach bags. Use one of these:
- Mark the items on the beach bags as you find them in your books. This is on the honor system - no need to submit any author/title information.
- For Detectives, find a letter which occurs anywhere in the detective's name.
- Titles do not count. For example, "Inspector Closeau" would count for A, but not for T.
- You can use anyone who has the detective role in the story, it need not be an 'official' detective.
- You may find more than one detective per book, but use each one only once, however...
- You can reuse a detective by reading additional books - for example, if you read two Nero Wolfe books, you can use Nero Wolfe for both F and O.
- For Victims, find a letter which occurs anywhere in the victim's name. Victims must be dead. You may find more than one per book, but use each one only once.
- For Weapons and Crime Scenes, find a letter which occurs anywhere in the word. You are not limited to the author's exact words. For example, if you need a "G", and someone uses a "pistol", feel free to replace that with "handGun".
- WILD CARDS! You are allowed four WILD CARDS total. These are freebies to replace those last hard-to-find items. Just write in "Wild Card". You can use them on any beach bag, even all four on one beach bag if that is needed.
- Submit the Beachcomber Form as you fill each beach bag. You need not list nor document your books, nor submit the beach bags themselves.
- You will get a cabana on the beach upon filling your first beach bag!
- Challenge is open now, ends Dec 31 2022.
- Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, short stories, or e-books may be used.
- Beach bags may be filled in any order.
- You can work the beach bags simultaneously.
- Bloggers are welcome to any images for your blog.
- Can I repeat the Beachcomber? Yes, once you complete a set of four beach bags, you can begin another set.
- Questions? Email me at email@example.com. Thank you for participating!
Your host: Rick Mills The Mystillery The Mystillery Blog email: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: @rickmills9 Supporter of Cabana icons by Vecteezy
Need more challenges?