Welcome to the 2022 Beachcomber Mystery Reading Challenge! Your goal is to become a Beachcomber by filling the set of four beach bags (23 items per bag, 92 items total) as you read mysteries!
- All four beach bags now use the find-the-letter-of-the-alphabet system.
- You can use ANY letter in the word, not just the first letter. You can use Knife for F.
- Crime Scenes can be "regional" - from a certain room to a street to a city to a state.
- You can use any book as many times as you like.
- You are not limited to the author's exact words, but may substitute as needed. For example, the author uses the word "handgun" but you need a T - so you can substitute "pisTol".
June 9: Tari H. fills up all her seventh set of four beach bags! May 31: JenneB fills up her set of four beach bags!
Welcome to the beach!
CABANAS as of THU JUN 9 2022 Beachcombers
Flotsam & Jetsam Tari Hann
> Tina Hilbert
Avid Series Reader
Key to symbols Moved up New or updated today Challenge complete Tracker page Blog Goodreads profile Paperback Swap bookshelf
- Advance signup is not needed.
- Obtain a set of four Beachcomber beach bags. Use one of these:
- Mark the items on the beach bags as you find them in your books. This is on the honor system - no need to submit any author/title information.
- For Crime Scenes, find a letter which occurs anywhere in the word. The crime scene could be a specific room, building, outdoor area, street, city, state, or country. You are not limited to the author's exact words. For example, if you need a "P", and someone uses a "trail", feel free to replace that with a P for "Path".
- For Detectives, find a letter which occurs anywhere in the detective's name.
- Titles do not count. For example, "Inspector Closeau" could count for A, but not for T.
- You can use anyone who has the detective role in the story, it need not be an 'official' detective.
- You may find more than one detective per book, but use each one only once, however...
- You can reuse a detective by reading additional books - for example, if you read two Nero Wolfe books, you can use Nero Wolfe for both F and O.
- For Victims, find a letter which occurs anywhere in the victim's name. Victims must be dead. You may find more than one per book, but use each one only once.
- For Weapons , find a letter which occurs anywhere in the word. You are not limited to the author's exact words. For example, if you need a "G", and someone uses a "pistol", feel free to replace that with "handGun".
- WILD CARDS! You are allowed four WILD CARDS total. These are freebies to replace those last hard-to-find items. Just write in "Wild Card". You can use them on any beach bag, even all four on one beach bag if that is needed.
- Submit the Beachcomber Form as you fill each beach bag. Honor system - you need not list nor document your books, nor submit the beach bags themselves.
- You will get a cabana on the beach upon filling your first beach bag!
- Challenge is open now, ends Dec 31 2022.
- Print books, audio books, radio dramatizations, short stories, or e-books may be used.
- Beach bags may be filled in any order.
- You can work the beach bags simultaneously.
- Bloggers are welcome to any images for your blog.
- Can I repeat the Beachcomber? Yes, once you complete a set of four beach bags, you can begin another set.
- Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for participating!
Need more challenges?