FUMC home >
Christian Education Committee >
Revised Mar 13 2017
Area 1: Build Discipleship
- Bible Study: Make studies more available and accessible, in both online study format, or mixed online/in person format. Offer studies for the periods between pastoral studies at Lent and Advent. We are using this as a resource: "Some Random Thoughts on Bible Studies"
- Create an online class as a pilot test before releasing to the church family. The topic is "Getting Things Done: A Study of Nehemiah" (complete)
- Run the class and evaluate results. (complete)
- Implement a new study for after Easter. (RM)
- Develop a class on basic Methodist beliefs and organization.
- Identify what is done by pastor currently.
- Create outline of content.
- Review content with pastor.
- Explore collaborative study possibilities in collaboration with other churches.
- Berwick UMC (approached)
- First UCC
- Bethany UMC
Area 2: Strengthen the Church Family
- Establish the culture that our committee is Christian Education, not Children's Education - we have a responsibility to provide educational opportunites for all church members, not just children.
- Emphasize and reinforce the above concept in newsletter articles.
- Refrain from using the word "adult" with "Bible Study" in order to stress inclusiveness for all ages, particularly teens (complete).
- Provide and promote content for adults on a regular basis (e.g., not just Advent and Lent).
- Host some Christian speakers for presentations.
- Identify what is done by pastor currently for prospective new members.
- Organize a face-to-face class for prospective new members.
- Seek out possible speakers.
- Recreate the excitement and energy of VBS into regular Sunday School. Perhaps integrate VBS curriculum (Crocodile Doc) into Sunday School one Sunday per month.
- Inventory existing VBS curriculum.
- Review inventory at monthly meeting.
- Look into ideas for strengthening content of chapel time.
- Identify goals of this time with Robert Molinaro.
- Investigate scheduling Sunday School to be separate from worship time (probably in between the two worships), with the goal of having children able to attend an entire worship service.
- Survey parents for preferences.
- Consider what staffing needs are required.
- Consider scheduling effects.
- Consider potential sound distractions.
- Consider format: Sunday School or Children's Church? Combined with chapel time?
- Consider a Passport program to encourage visitation and exchange with other churches.
- Consult with NOW committee.
Area 3: Build Identity as Home for the Arts
- Establish a "Little Free Library" on the church grounds, as an outreach extension of our library.
- Check with city for permitting requirements, if any. (JM)
- Determine location with consultation of Trustees.
- Obtain materials.
- Construct and install library.
- Provide for ongoing maintenance and stocking.
- Note (not a separate goal): The committee will support other groups' initiatives in this area, as well.
Agenda and minutes for all meetings are online at http://rickmillsproject.com/ced