Sunday School planning:
The committee considered five models for Sunday School programs.
- Maintain the current schedule and curriculum (no changes)
- Maintain the current schedule, change curriculum to activity-based
- Maintain the current schedule, change the structure to a "Children's Church"
- Adjacent schedule: either before, after, or overlapping 10AM worship, maintaining the current structure
- A family event, which would require changing both the time and the structure.
After compiling notes on these five options on the worksheet, the consensus was to pursue model #2, changing the curriculum to activity-based; which has been successful on a few individual instances already. There are many in the congregation who may be "guest teachers", able to lead individual activities based on their own experience and expertise, and if these could be used periodically that could comprise the bulk of the activity schedule.
It is vital to rebuild the SS leadership team to have adequate support, and distribute responsibility. These roles were proposed (It was noted that in the past, some just-confirmed teens have worked well in these roles).
- 1 person to organize the curriculum/activity
- 1 person to do emails and scheduling of staff, ensuring all staff are notified
- 1 person to do registrations, attendance records
- 1 person to do public relations (bulletin boards, social media, photos, newsletter items)
- Donna will bring Elaine up to date with our discussion.
- Donna, Dan, and Michelle will explore a potential Saturday morning SS teacher's meeting in December to plan specifics.
- Check recent volunteer survey forms to see who checked off Sunday School
- Obtain 2019 worship plan from Jeff, to tie activities in.
- Rick will present it to Administrative Council at their next meeting (Nov 19).