FUMC home >
Christian Education Committee >
Minutes, January 14 2018
Minutes, January 14 2018
- In attendance: Pastor Jeff Hunt, Rick and Kathy Mills, Marianne Gustafson, Dan Saucier, Andrew Gagne, Robert Molinaro, and Elaine Menard.
- Opening reading and prayer (Rick Mills): King Solomon prays for wisdom (2 Chronicles 1:1-12). While we consider wisdom a prerequisite for office, Solomon assumed the office of king first, then prayed for, and was granted his wisdom.
- Youth Group (Andrew Gagne): the group is meeting tonight to plan for spring activities. Preparations are underway for Italian Night, which will occur on Feb.3. A tubing trip will occur later in February. Plans are being made for an April mission trip, but the destination is not yet known.
- Media Center (Marianne Gustafson): the book cart for the Soup Kitchen is being prepared and should be in use soon. Marianne is hoping to come in on some Wednesday afternoons to organize the library.
- Boy Scouts (Jill Miltner): We would like to suggest Scout Sunday on March 18 (Pastor Jeff is OK with this date).
Girls in Scouting: Pack 184 has been selected to participate in an early-adoption of the family pack program. Criteria for being an early adopter included:
100% trained leadership,
Youth Density in the designated area,
Charter Organization Rep involvement with the unit.
This is quite the feather in our cap from a council and national perspective.
I would also like to submit a small business card size image file announcing the Early Adopters Program for our pack to see if any church member's children would be interested. We are working on the mock up now with the hope that we will have it ready for the newsletter 01/15 deadline.
- Sunday School (Elaine Menard): presented a request for funds to buy a set of DVDs: "Chuck Knows Church", 4 DVD set, $50. They could be used for Sunday School and Confirmation, and also for informative purposes, or as a whole church study. This was approved. Plan are being considered to post Bible and early Church timelines, as well as maps. The numbers for Sunday School continue to be low, but the volunteers are keeping on. Elementary classes are being combined due to low enrollment.
- Bible Study Pastor Jeff is planning to do a book/Bible study of Adam Hamilton's book "Creed: What Christians Believe and Why." during Lent. This will begin Feb. 21. Rick is proposing an online study to start sometime after Easter.
- Strategic Planning: Here is the Strategic Planning document.
- Old Business: None
- New Business: The committee is to submit their 2017 annual report for Charge Conference, which will be held on Jan. 31. The Strategic Planning document will be used as a guideline.
- Next Meeting: Feb 11 2018
Agenda and minutes for all meetings are online at http://rickmillsproject.com/ced