FUMC home >
Christian Education Committee >
Minutes, October 8 2017
Minutes, October 8 2017
- In attendance: Rick and Kathy Mills, Kristen Sturtevant, Donna and Izzy Brill, Jill and Joshua Miltner, Robert Molinaro, Hillary Mayotte, Erin Kelly, and Elaine Menard.
- Opening reading and prayer (Rick Mills): Proverbs 12:1-"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid."
- Youth Group (Erin Kelly and Hillary Mayotte): the group is going apple picking today. A lock-in will be held Nov. 3-4. Confirmation class starts right after the lock-in. The group will be working at the Holiday Fair.
- Media Center (Marianne Gustafson): I am out of town until next Monday so I won't be at the meeting. Nothing new in the library. If everyone is in agreement, I vote for giving Josh as much money as is available from the library budget. There isn't anything I need to buy.
- Boy Scouts (Jill and Josh Miltner): Josh's Eagle project was approved. Dig Safe has inspected the site, and found no issues. Tri-City Masonry has agreed to donate a stone bench to place by the Little Free Library, and will assist with its installation. He hopes to have the bench installed and the pole in the ground before the ground freezes.
Jill reports that all three Scouting units remain healthy, and the pack has added some members. An Eagle Court ceremony will occur 10/28, and there are three additional Scouts working towards Eagle rank.
- Sunday School (Elaine Menard): Fourteen students are registered. A lectionary-based curriculum is being used; Elaine provided information to the committee. Middle school students are doing a video series based on Proverbs. There are currently no shepherds serving, and another teacher is being sought. Prayers and patience are needed as we deal with low numbers; other churches are experiencing this, as well. Elaine reports that Caleb Cook is working with her; she will check with him to inquire if he wishes to be listed as a committee member.
- Bible Study (Pastor Jeff): While I will not be able to be there, I do have an update to share. First, I am planning to do a book/Bible study called "The Redemption of Scrooge" by Matt Rawle during the season of Advent. It is based on Charles Dickens holiday classic. The study will be offered for 4 weeks on both Wednesday evening 6:30-8 and Thursday afternoon from 12:15-1:30 beginning on November 29.
Second, I would like to offer a study of Adam Hamilton's book "Creed: What Christians Believe and Why." The book is an exploration of the Apostle's Creed and biblical texts. This will be a 6 week study, likely during Lent, but I am not 100% sure yet.
Finally, our bishop has asked that pastors lead their congregations in a study of one of his two recommended books. I have chosen "A Missionary Mindset: What Church Leaders Need to Know to Reach Their Communities - Lessons from E. Stanley Jones" by Douglas Ruffle. I have not ordered the book yet, so I don't yet know how long the study will be, but it sounds interesting, particularly in our culture, which is increasingly estranged from the Christian context.
- Strategic Planning: Here is the Strategic Planning document. No changes.
- Old Business: none
- New Business: The committee member list was reviewed and updated. Donna and Izzy Brill were introduced as the new nursery coordinators.
- Next Meeting: November 12
Agenda and minutes for all meetings are online at http://rickmillsproject.com/ced