FUMC home >
Christian Education Committee >
Minutes, Feb. 12 2017
Minutes, Feb. 12 2017
- In attendance: Rick and Kathy Mills, Kristen Sturtevant, Jill and Joshua Miltner, Jennifer Mayotte, Marianne Gustafson, Elaine Menard, Robert Molinaro.
- Opening reading and prayer (Rick Mills): The spirit of unity - Ephesians 4: 1-6
- Youth Group (Dan Saucier): Our final tally for our Heifer International collection was $675.
We had a successful Italian Night show last night serving about 125 people with 30 youth in the show.
Next Saturday we will take the group on a tubing trip and then we will have a week off for vacation week.
- Media Center (Marianne Gustafson): Sam Tweedy has been very helpful in moving excess books from the media center. The organ is also being removed. There are no updates on the library cart project; Trustees are to purchase the cart. Marianne will check with Pastor Jeff re: if the media center will be keeping the collection of books from previous Bible studies.
- Boy Scouts (Jill and Joshua Miltner): Joshua spoke about his planned Eagle Scout project: to build a Little Free Library on FUMC property. Jill will assist him in checking with the city re: location and any permits needed.The building kit and authenticity certificate cost $300; he is exploring obtaining donations of materials from Home Depot or Lowes, and then building the Little Free Library with help from his scoutmasters. With the latter option, he would need to pay for registration with the Little Free Library system (which allows the location to be listed/found on a website). Since this would be an extension of the library services currently at FUMC, it was agreed that Media Center funds could be used. It was suggested a rubber stamp and/or bookmarks be used to identify the books as coming from FUMC.
- Sunday School (Elaine Menard): a search is underway for a new curriculum, perhaps one that is lectionary-based; Rick will let Elaine know how much is budgeted for this. Determining a teaching schedule which works well has been challenging, as has the dwindling attendance, which sometimes results in a single class for all children.
- Bible Study (Rick Mills): The online study, Getting Things Done - a Study of Nehemiah, is wrapping up this week. Technically speaking, the online system works fine. Participation seems to mirror face-to-face studies. Rick described how the study works, and Kathy spoke of her positive experience with this format. There were various levels of participation among the 8 people who registered. Jill asked if there is any way to add a notification of a new discussion posting; Rick will check.
- Strategic Planning: The Strategic Planning document was submitted to Church Council in December. To date, no feedback been received.
- New Business: Marianne spoke of her idea to make Christian Education more available to high-school students by offering study opportunities at the high-school during lunchtime. Elaine invited her to attend a NOW meeting to discuss this further.
- Next Meeting: Mar 12 2017; 11:30 AM
Agenda and minutes for all meetings are online at http://rickmillsproject.com/ced