FUMC home >
Christian Education Committee >
Minutes, Jan. 8 2017
Minutes, Jan. 8 2017
- In attendance: Rick and Kathy Mills, Kristin Sturtevant, Erin Kelly, Donna and Izzy Brill, Elaine Menard, Tim Kujawa, Robert Molinaro, Jill Miltner.
- Opening reading and prayer (Rick Mills): The value of spiritual exercise (1 Timothy 4:6-10)
- Youth Group (Tim Kujawa)-$600 was raised for Heifer Project in /December. Members are preparing for Italian Night.
- Media Center (Marianne Gustafson was not present, but submitted this report):
- The following motion was approved at the December Ad. Council. That the Committee be allowed to place a mobile free book cart in Hurd Hall during Fellowship Meals, for use by the patrons. Explanation: This would be an extension of our library service. It would be a new wheeled library cart to replace the former wooden cabinet. The Committee would be responsible for moving the cart in, removing it following the meal, and storage between meals.: Motion passed, and Trustees offered to pay for a library cart.
- The following motion was approved at the December Ad. Council.
That the Committee be allowed to construct and operate a "Little Free Library" enclosure on the church grounds, for use by the general public. Explanation: This would be an extension of our library service. This is a weatherproof enclosure with doors mounted on a post. Location would be decided with consultation of Trustees. The Committee would be responsible for construction (likely in the spring), operation, and maintenance.
- Boy Scouts (Jill Miltner): she feels there is an Eagle Scout candidate who would take on the Little Free Library Project. The scout has to write up the project plans/funding and present to the scout committee for approval. There may be opportunities to add additional locations. In other news, the crew and pack are re-registered. A spring trip, possibly to West Point, is being planned. Robert Molinaro will check with Cindy Simon to be sure her meditation class isnŐt using Hurd Hall the night of the Blue and Gold Banquet.
- Sunday School (Elaine Menard)-has met with Donna Brill for planning. Coordinating Sunday school curriculum with sermon topics is being discussed. There is interest in having children participate in worship, which could be facilitated by a change in Sunday School time; this is an ongoing discussion.
- Bible Study (Rick Mills): The online study, Getting Things Done - a Study of Nehemiah begins tomorrow, Jan. 9. This is a pilot study to get all the bugs out and see how it goes. We have these participants: Rick & Kathy Mills, Donna Brill, Kris Pinckney (Kathy's sister), Dennis Schafer, Kristen Sturtevant, Jill Miltner, Pat Hewitt, and Jeff Hunt. Looking forward - we plan an online study on basic Methodist history and beliefs.
- Strategic Planning ( ): The Strategic Planning document was submitted to Church Council in December.
- Old Business: None
- New Business: None
- Next Meeting: Feb 12 2017; 11:30 AM
Agenda and minutes for all meetings are online at http://rickmillsproject.com/ced