FUMC home >
Christian Education Committee >
Minutes, Dec. 11 2016
Minutes, Dec. 11 2016
Respectfully submitted, Kathy Mills
- In attendance Rick and Kathy Mills, Michelle Pyrich, Marianne Gustafson, Robert and Chloe Molinaro, Jenn and Hillary Mayotte, Donna Brill, Erin Kelly, and Elaine Menard.
- Opening reading and prayer (Rick Mills): People who have walked in darkness shall see a great light (isaiah 9:2)
- Youth Group (Chloe Molinaro): the group has raised over $300 towards its $500 goal for Heifer Project. Events for December include a Christmas party and a lock-in. In January, preparations begin for Italian NIght.
- Media Center (Marianne Gustafson): Advent and Christmas media are on display. A bookcase holding books for fellowship meal guests was recently removed from Hurd Hall. Admin Council wishes the space to be uncluttered, to facilitate use of the hall by the many groups holding activities there. Christian Ed members feel that making books available during fellowship meals is an important ministry of FUMC, and the bookcase should be replaced. A rolling bookcase was suggested, since this can easily be moved into another room (the conference room where AA meets was suggested), when the space is needed. Marianne advises the library budget could cover the cost. Rick will present this at Ad Council next week.
Donna expressed interest in facilitating a “Little Free Library” outside FUMC. Rick will present this at Ad Council.
Robert requested a CD player be kept in the closet. He was advised there are players available, so he will check for them. Malfunctioning players will be disposed of.
- Boy Scouts (Jill Miltner): No report
- Sunday School (Michelle Pyrich): the Christmas Pageant is 12/18; 12 children will participate.
- Bible Study (Rick Mills): We are planning to have an online study, Getting Things Done - a Study of Nehemiah, beginning in January. This will be a pilot study to get all the bugs out and see how it goes. We have these participants: Rick & Kathy Mills, Donna Brill, Kris Pinckney (Kathy's sister), Dennis Schafer, Kristen Sturtevant, Jill Miltner, Pat Hewitt, and Jeff Hunt. Looking forward - we plan an online study on basic Methodist history and beliefs.
- Strategic Planning (Michelle Pyrich): The Strategic Planning document was finalizd for submission to Church Council next week.
- Old Business: Marianne noted planning/scheduling of a fire drill hasn't yet occurred.
- New Business: Setting of dates for meetings in 2017. Proposed: Jan 8, Feb 12, Mar 12, Apr 9 (Palm Sunday), May 14 (Mother's Day), VBS Planning to be announced, Aug 13, Sep 10, Oct 8, Nov 12, Dec TBA. All at 11:30 AM except May 14 will be 9 AM, so as not to interfere with Mother’s Day celebrations.
- Next Meeting: Jan. 8 2017; 11:30 AM
Agenda and minutes for all meetings are online at http://rickmillsproject.com/ced